Any advice for Russian?

mac   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:54 am GMT
I decided to start studying Russian. I'm starting a once a week class and using a workbook that is introducing me to the basics. I'm very new to it so that's why I'm asking for any advice, such as common problems people encounter with this language. So far I like how it sounds and find it interesting, so I hope I can stick with it.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 am GMT
Yes. Learn something else. Spanish or even French would be much easier and useful.
L-Marie   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
Don't want to dissapoint you, mac, but I've never seen any Russian lanquage learner who sounded at least in some moments like a native. It seems our language has too many irregularities in gramma and collocations. As for phonetics, to my mind, the main point is the tongue position. The tip of your tongue should always look down when you pronounce consonants.

Anyway, I strongly believe that learning Russian is very rewarding. If you are able to read books in origin, you'll benefit a lot. After I learned English enough to read literature, I got really disappointed in many translations of many mordern and classical english books. As far as I know, Russian books in general have inadequate translations to English (I don't know about other lanquages).
mac   Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:11 pm GMT
Ouch! Not very encouraging. My other language that I know is Spanish and I have looked into French and German, which I know would be easier, but I really don't see how they would be more useful nowadays. About every French or German person I've met has always immediatedly spoke to me in English...so I don't know about that. On the other hand I hear that many Russians don't know English and there are more Russians than Germans or French natives (not including Africa).

As far as sounding like a native, I hear the French are not very forgiving about non-natives speaking with mistakes but that Russians are lot nicer. :) So I'm worried about how I sound more with French. If I don't sound native, but can be understood, then I don't care so much how native I sound.

I'm interested in Russian Because it's a large language and once again of growing importantance for political, business and strategic reasons. I hear it would be easier than Chinese. Is this true?

Thanks for responding, and if it really is just too hard for me then I probably will quit. I already have noticed some irregularities that seem very difficult. But I wanna give it a try at least.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:04 am GMT
Mac, if you have a large desire to learn Russian than by all means, do so. Just know that Russian children and young people spend years learning how to speak their language correctly. You will not get very fluent unless you travel and/or live in Russia for a certain period of time.

I mentioned that Spanish and French would be more useful because they are used more widely than Russian. Since you already know Spanish, good for you. But the French in France or even those who travel to other countries do not know English as well as they could. French would definitely be an advantage.

But if you are content and have the drive to learn Russian, go ahead. It will not be an easy path though.
mac   Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:29 am GMT
Thanks, I see what you mean. I haven't got deep into it yet but I've already heard some things that I know will be difficult.

<< Just know that Russian children and young people spend years learning how to speak their language correctly. >>

I've heard the same thing about Chinese. That's another one of the big non-Euro languages that I was looking at. A lot of people suggest that, but isn't Chinese usually ranked more difficult than Russian? If you had to choose between the two, what would you pick? Just curious.

Oh hell i dunno. Maybe I'll wuss out and just go with French or German.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:47 am GMT
Mandarin Chinese would be difficult if you don't understand how tones work. Saying a word too high or low would alter your intended meaning. But if you learn languages easily, Chinese would be pretty easy to learn how to speak because the grammar is pretty simple. But the definite difficulty is the writing system; my former teacher had to study the characters for over ten years to attempt to read and write the characters.

Russian's limitation is the complex grammar and strange sounds. It would be a while before one understands enough of the grammar to be able to communicate on a basic level. But you're write about Russians being understanding about attempting to speak the language.

French, German or even Portuguese has a shorter learning time. But it is true that the French do not like people trying to speak their language if every other word is mispronounced or something like that. But if you're good enough, try out your French and friendly locals will be glad to correct you.

German is slightly more difficult than French but has one major limitation: most Germans or Austrians speak excellent English and therefore, will switch to English if they can tell you're a foreigner. It is good however if you're doing business over in German-speaking countries. They are more likely to trust a German speaker than one who doesn't speak a word of it.

Hope that helps.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:17 am GMT
Russian is ugly
xxx   Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:25 pm GMT
>>Mac, if you have a large desire to learn Russian than by all means, do so. Just know that Russian children and young people spend years learning how to speak their language correctly. You will not get very fluent unless you travel and/or live in Russia for a certain period of time.

where are you from? what a nonsence especially about "Russian children and young people spend years learning how to speak their language correctly"
C H P M   Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 pm GMT
My advice is not to give up. Russian won't be that hard if you persevere with it, and it will be fun. Just keep practising every day, and use flashcards to build up your vocabulary, and talk to native speakers (try www.sharedtalk.com - an incredibly useful website for practising languages).
You can do it!
L-Marie   Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:54 pm GMT
The was a discussion in the deep past ;) about difference between spoken and written languages (http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2002/2179.htm) where the Russian was mentioned as a language where this difference is very strong.

I think it makes our language difficult to learn; this difference is very strong indeed. In spoken language different grammar patterns are used, so it's not a point of pronunciation or accent. On the other hand, there are a lot of forums where Russians are discussing staff in colloquial language, so one can acquire spoken language from there.
Luca   Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 pm GMT
If you have a fascination for Russian then keep learning it and don't care if it's useful or not as long as you love it.
I think nowadays no language is really important except English, so all the others can be studied as B choices and for passion and you will always find a way to use them!
Good luck! Lycka till!
Breiniak   Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm GMT
Just practice it daily and try using it actively when you reach a certain level. Always be humble about your knowledge of the language and take on the new challenges the language brings to you. How little you think you're making progress, you're making progress nonetheless and the way you'll be walking will be a LOOONG one, better make it a pleasant one than. ^^

BTW, Youtube is full of Russian films from all eras.
mac   Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 am GMT
Thank you very much guys! I love you! God bless you, guys!
Xie   Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 am GMT
>>But the definite difficulty is the writing system; my former teacher had to study the characters for over ten years to attempt to read and write the characters.

This is only true for Chinese kids, in practice, in the foreign land your teacher may once have wanted to visit.

>>most Germans or Austrians speak excellent English and therefore, will switch to English if they can tell you're a foreigner.

Some ppl may not agree with what I put here like (excessively) big words. Hongkongers will not use their native languages at all just by judging your look (if you aren't Chinese and can't understand a word after a few seconds) and will use their choppy/terrible/heavily-accented/decently-accented/excellent English immediately until you can win the struggle through speaking exactly like them.

Of coz, no one controls what I speak, but prejudging is also a natural kind of social behavior and does reflect attitudes. I would immediately try my choppy English/slow Mandarin when I bump into a foreign/a person who looks like a northerner.

(hope that helps you understand; just some little words)