Who are speakers of pure RP English today?

Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
Who are speakers of pure RP English today? Is it the BBC news readers?
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
In general BBC news readers use RP, but it's also the general accent of the middle and upper classes in London.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
Katy Price
Damian -Bamburgh, England   Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
Oh just in London then? Hardly! ;-) RP is much more spread out across the land than London alone, pal! There is quite a substantial sprinking of EERP* in our neighbourhood in Edinburgh - "immigrants" from all parts of England, from Warwickshire and Northamptonshire in the English Midlands, Yorkshire and Cumbria (North of England) and from Monmouthshire (often called Gwent) which doesn't quite know whether it's in England or Wales as it has switched back and forth from one to the other and back again umpteen times over the centuries, a bit like Berwick-upon-Tweed between Scotland and England and then back again. All these people seem to speak in fairly "posh" *English English RP, and as far as I know none of then have any family Connections with London.

Katy Price? Oh you mean Jordan, Mrs Peter Andre. Katy RP? Well, she's certainly not "posh" RP - she sounds just like the vast majority of her age group across the whole swathe of Southern England and much of South West England, East Anglia and much of the South and East Midlands. Katy (Jordan) actually comes from Hampshire - Central Southern England. I quite like her accent- it's sort of "neutral" - midway between "posh" and modified Estuary. I wish she would lay off slagging Peter all the time though! Poor bloke!

Right - off down the pub with a large group of jolly people now - I'm down here on the Northumberland coast for the weekend - half work/half funtime. Bamburgh Castle is absolutely amazing - it's been here since the 8th century.
Damian - Bamburgh, Englan   Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:08 pm GMT
I fibbed! - it's been here since the 11th century, not the 8th - the former fortress on the same site had been there since the 8th century. You can get married or civil partnered in the Castle, as in most other similar settings in the UK.

http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/site/highlights/the-icons/bamburgh-castle

Right - off to the pub......hae a guid one!

PS: The locals dont seem to speak Geordie at all! I am disappointed - they sound sort of basic RP really. Hmmmmm....anyway, it's English English! Cheers.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:12 am GMT
Don't the the queen and the king speak RP as well?
Janie   Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:42 am GMT
When did England get a king? Last I checked he was a duke.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:19 am GMT
it's the Queen and the 1st dude [her husband] ;)