Subjuntivo

Emilie   Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:08 pm GMT
Es un desventaje que... (necesito usar el subjuntivo aqui?)

Gracias!
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
Yes.

Es una desventaja que yo no estudie. (verbo estudiar)

It is a disadvantge that I don't study.
Emilie   Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
Muchas gracias. Cómo es este frase?

Por ejemplo, es una desvantaja que una persona que estudia en casa no tenga experiencia con ir a una escuela típica, así que cuando vaya a la unversidad, sea una experiencia totalmente nueva.
Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:17 am GMT
Could you put the same sentance in English so we can see exactly what you meant and then correct it?
haha   Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:55 pm GMT
I believe it'd be literally:

For instance, is a disadvantage that someone who studies at home has no experience of going to a tipical (public, I guess) school, and then when that person goes to University, it's a totally new experience.

Well, duh.
I think it sounds strange, but who knows?
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 am GMT
es una desvantaja que una persona que estudia en casa no tenga experiencia con ir a una escuela típica, así que cuando vaya a la unversidad, sea una experiencia totalmente nueva.

It's a disadvantage that someone who studies at home [is home schooled] doesn't have the experience of going to a typical school, so that when s/he goes to the university, it will be a totally new experience.

That's the proper equivalent in English, but NOT exactly to the spanish that was given, because 2 things are wrong.

"experiencia con ir" - no, no. That sounds like a literal translation of "experience with going," which doesnt sound like even proper English. You have "experience with" cooking, with painting, etc, but you "have the experience of a typical, public school." If you're going to use with, you don't have "experience going to school," but experience with *attending* school. So there's a few different things. In conversation, I think i'd even use a certain verb form of "ir," but I do not know if that's good spanish or not, since I never really studied it. I learned it growing up, not from books.

Also, I think it's supposed to say "it will be a totally new experience" so you correct verb form is "sera." Que sera, sera, remember? :D

And just to chime in with my two cents, so what? University is just more school. I was homeschooled all my life, and now I'm at college. New experience? Yeah, but so what? Big deal. Only new experience is being in a classroom for actualy credit and not some random astronomy class I was interested in one summer or a PSSA test, and writing down notes. Wow. Huge bombshell. lol. Not like I didn't know how to write.

Granted though, more sheltered home schoolers or unschoolers or whatever will probably have bigger issues, such as working with groups, or... I dunno what else. No big new experience here, my homeschooling gave me lots of advantages for college, and no real "disadvantages," but there are so many ways people home school, that's just me, and a few others I know, so, who knows. I don't know what normal or average homeschooler might be. :D
Guest   Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:31 am GMT
both are possible but subjunctive indicates a lower degree of probability
MUKEKA   Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:39 am GMT
yup, many times it's more of a question of more probable /less probable than simple: use subjunctive vs use indicative black and white scheme.
Emilie   Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 pm GMT
Thanks, Mukeka.

Let me give you the context. I was a homeschooler, too, and if I had given you the whole paragraph, you would have seen that I argue that it isn't actually a big deal and it doesn't take long at all to get used to the new environment.

But I had to write a paper on the advantages and disadvantages of my subject, so I had to concede something. ;D
Emilie   Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:38 pm GMT
Whoops. I was refering to Rhoi there.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:19 pm GMT
hehe, cool, I see then. Just make note of my corrections there. Good luck. :)
Morticia   Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
Do you think that subjunctive is the most difficult aspect of the Spanish language? Sometimes even Spaniards forget the subjunctive mood and use the indicative instead (incorrectly). I wonder if it is a trait of the current evolution of the Spanish language towards the extinction of the subjunctive mood. In fact, for example when compared to Portuguese, some subjunctive tenses are already gone.
Guest   Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 pm GMT
Que demonios es el subjuntivo?