Who are growing faster in Canada? Anglophones or Francophone

Morticia   Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:02 am GMT
<<Any language that has to resort to laws and gov't progams in order to ensure its usage is obviously in a desperate situation. Quebec hasn't been in French hands since 1763. They are lucky any French is spoken at all still and shouldn't be surprised at the growth of English there. Most Canadians speak English and most immigrants want to use English. Francophones need to accept the reality for what it is. Over time English will continue to dwarf the the use of French in Canada.>>

I completely agree with shiv. The situation of Catalan here is exactly the same. The regional Government in Catalonia enforces its usage but people tend to use Spanish much more than Catalan when they have the chance to do it. Usually laws don't allow to use Spanish freely and Catalan must be used instead.
Rui   Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:25 am GMT
But Morticia you above uss all here, should know that was the Spanish Government that promoted he use os Castillan in Franco times in Catalunia as well as in Valencia and Baleares.

I don't see why the promotion of a language shouldn't be helped by it's government. Take Catalunia Government for example, should they promote Catalunia culture? Everyone agrees and say yes. Isn't the Catalunia Language part of Catalunia culture? Yes.

The same applies for Quebec.
EstidKrébek   Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:27 pm GMT
"Quebec hasn't been in French hands since 1763. They are lucky any French is spoken at all"

Don't be too woorried for them, you shouldn't.
In any given country immigrants tend to join the dominant community, therefore it's in no way surprising that most Pakistanis, Arabs, Africans, Chinese etc. choose English when they settle in Canada.
But while English is gaining in quantity it is losing in quality.

Let me be more specific.
One hundred years back the wealthiest community in Montreal was made of British protestants of Scottish descent. Middle and lower classes were French.
Then came the Jews, the Italians, the Greeks, the Portuguese, the Egyptians, the Chinese etc. and the status of the English language sunk accordingly. Now, monolingual English speakers in Quebec are typically Indians and Jamaicans. There is some probability that in Montreal French will become a minority language in a near future but it will be firmly established as the language of the upper ruling class.

Even pure breed Anglos in Quebec are increasingly inpoverished, with a lower-than-average culture and economic status. Especially in Estrie ('Eastern Townships') native WASPs are now clearly the underdogs. And many of them now are joining the French majority, or are considering to do.
This process is happening just cross the border to upstate NY.
Amazing, isn't it?
Bakar   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
Brennus is right, even in Montreal many newcomers prefer English to French, which is understandable because English is easier than French. Not to mention the omnipresence of English.
Bakar   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm GMT
Btw, I'd like to add that I love French.
I think that it's one of the most beautiful languages I know, and it the first foreign language I learned seriously back when I was 15 years old.

I was just telling you the reality in Canada.
Rabak   Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:59 am GMT
<< I was just telling you the reality in Canada.>>

The reality is the birthrate of Anglo-Canadians is very low that's why immigrants from China and India pour in. Time will come that the native English speakers' percentage will shrink while that of the French speakers in Quebec and NB will increase by assimilating allophones and even anglophones.
I hate lies   Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:30 am GMT
<< Any language that has to resort to laws and gov't progams in order to ensure its usage is obviously in a desperate situation. Quebec hasn't been in French hands since 1763. They are lucky any French is spoken at all still and shouldn't be surprised at the growth of English there. Most Canadians speak English and most immigrants want to use English. Francophones need to accept the reality for what it is. Over time English will continue to dwarf the the use of French in Canada. >>

<< Don't be too woorried for them, you shouldn't.
In any given country immigrants tend to join the dominant community, therefore it's in no way surprising that most Pakistanis, Arabs, Africans, Chinese etc. choose English when they settle in Canada.
But while English is gaining in quantity it is losing in quality. >>

But in Quebec they are forced to learn French because French speakers refuse to be addressed in other language especially English in their own turf.

<< Let me be more specific.
One hundred years back the wealthiest community in Montreal was made of British protestants of Scottish descent. Middle and lower classes were French.
Then came the Jews, the Italians, the Greeks, the Portuguese, the Egyptians, the Chinese etc. and the status of the English language sunk accordingly. Now, monolingual English speakers in Quebec are typically Indians and Jamaicans. There is some probability that in Montreal French will become a minority language in a near future but it will be firmly established as the language of the upper ruling class. >>

It won't happen because a few decades ago the number of native English and and secondary among French Canadians is much larger than now. But when the Quiet Revolution took place, it dwindled. Most of the French Canadians are now monolingual French speakers.

Stop lying that the Indians and Jamaicans in Montreal are monolingual in English. Their native language are either one of the Indian vernacular languages and Jamaican Creole. Their secondary language is French not English. 2nd generation speak French as their first language not English because they're in Montreal and there is a rule that allophones are automatically sent to French language schools.

The reality is English will be a minority language in Toronto and especially Vancouver because of the large influx of Chinese immigrants. That's the truth that cannot be hidden and don't direct that fact to French speaking community in Canada.
James   Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
It's funny how people look at Law 101 in Quebec and criticize it, while conveniently failing to understand the backdrop behind it. For most of Canadian history, French Canadians have faced legal (not just de facto) language discrimination. During the 19th century, all of the provinces other than Quebec passed laws restricting the use and teaching of French. Ontario forbade teachers from speaking in French, even in French class! Only in the 1960s were most of these laws repealed, and by that time several hundred thousand people of French descent living outside Quebec had been forcibly assimilated. Meanwhile, Quebec was forced to grant special legal privileges to its English-speaking minority, allowing it to have its own schools and governmental representation.

The notion that Canadian French survives solely because of governmental intervention is comical. The truth is just the opposite. English, not French, has historically been the language that has received legal support. Only in 1969 did French even become an official language of Canada!
french are assholes   Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:32 am GMT
French Candians are rude, bitter ,selfish sorry exuse for a people assholes.
SigmundFreud   Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:53 am GMT
Is it appropriate to refer to French Canadians just as "French"? I often hear people referring to Hispanic Americans as simply "Spanish" and it seems odd.
hispanics are shits   Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:08 am GMT
Hispanic Amricans are rude, bitter ,selfish sorry exuse for a people shits.