BrE spelling in the US

Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 am GMT
>>Color (Latin) is older than Colour (French)<<

That's very irrelavent. English is neither Latin not French, and as far as I'm aware the Americans didn't adopt 'color' because it was Latin.
LNG   Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:12 am GMT
"Americans didn't adopt 'color' because it was Latin."

We adopted it for the opposite reason, because Noah Webster, largely responsible for our American spellings, proposed his changes with intention to remove somewhat the influence of the Norman French on our language--French being a language descended from Latin.
Lazar   Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:39 am GMT
I think the American spelling reformers would have cited the fact that "color" is closer to the original Latin source, as well as its simplicity.
Uriel   Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:06 am GMT
British spellings are considered "wrong" in an American school or business context, especially if it's an American perpetrating them. It's not that we don't get that they are perfectly correct elsewhere, it's just that we all have our little local standards we have to conform to -- you do, too. Just as my dad had to learn while he was stationed in England to spell his last name out for people with a "zed" at the end instead of a "zee", even though that's an unnatural pronunciation for him -- he got tired of being misunderstood. When in Rome, and all that.....

I would imagine that professors and employers would probably cut you some slack if they knew ahead of time that you were actually from the commonwealth, but they would not be so gracious to an American student or employee who decided to use non-American spellings -- it would be regarded as a pointless affectation. Canadians probably have it worse, though, since they often aren't psychologically perceived of as "foreign" per se, yet have different spelling standards of their own. If you talk funny and spell funny, that's one thing, but if you talk the same and spell differently, well....

But in Scrabble, hey -- every point counts! And an extra U is an extra point....
Another Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 pm GMT
"I can understand American spelling being corrected in the UK or other parts of the English speaking world, because it is an innovation,"
What makes you think that it is an innovation? In many cases a word is spelled by Americans the same as it "originally" was, while the British have a new spelling.

"The reason I spell judgement this way is in no attempt to appease any Britsh sensibilities--I merely learned it like this and have stuck with it. It just makes more logical sense to include the -e + suffix -ment because the -e is part of the whole word."
You don't spell "argument" as "arguement" or "lying" as "lieing", do you?
LNG   Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:19 pm GMT
"British spellings are considered "wrong" in an American school or business context, especially if it's an American perpetrating them."

I have never been corrected for using them, and if I was I would strongly protest. Regional spellings are no more worng than regional accents.
greg   Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:30 am GMT
'Guest' : « Color (Latin) is older than Colour (French). »

Le seul petit hic c'est que An <colour> a été emprunté à l'ancien français et pas au latin. Lequel ancien français faisait montre d'une tolérance orthographique encore supérieure à celle de l'anglais moderne : AF <colour> <coulour> <coullour> <color> <colur> <coleur> <couleur> <coulleur> etc.

Lazar : « I think the American spelling reformers would have cited the fact that "color" is closer to the original Latin source, as well as its simplicity. »

Simplicité ou brièveté orthographique ? Le rapprochement de <colour> avec /ˈkʌ·lə/ a au moins le mérite de distinguer clairement <o> de <ou> alors que <color> ne saurait faire ressortir, sans la moindre équivoque, le statut phonologique différencié des deux <o>.
Guest   Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:21 am GMT
-You don't spell "argument" as "arguement" or "lying" as "lieing", do you? -

age ---> aging (not ageing)
ice-----> icing (not iceing)
Tony   Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:34 pm GMT
Wouldn't a logical spelling of 'judgement' be 'jujment'?
And 'judge' becomes 'juj'.