This guy speaks 5 languages, what do you think?

Invité d'honneur   Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
K.T: <<No, I saw another video. I haven't lost my ability to speak French. Aargh!
Indeed, in this video he talks about his blog where only French and Korean are welcome.>>

Lol. Problem solved then. To tell you the truth I was surprised that the otherwise knowledgeable, helpful K.T could have misunderstood the guy so completely. ;-)

<<I haven't lost my ability to speak French. Aargh!>>

Haha. Yeah, I think that to any dedicated language learner, losing one's ability to speak a foreign language is one of the worst thing that could happen. I certainly wouldn't like it.

<<I think speakers of Arabic do the same thing. They don't distinguish between "bat" and "pat". I don't know if this is in all dialects or not.>>

I don't know either. But I do know you can't write the "p" sound with the Arabic alphabet.
K. T.   Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
"I don't know either. But I do know you can't write the "p" sound with the Arabic alphabet. " IdH

TY. I'll try to remember that. I know a little spoken Arabic, but I can't write it and I haven't analyzed it.

I need to look at that chart someone provided a few months ago here. Basically, it demystified Arabic.
K. T.   Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:50 pm GMT
"He talks breifly about his dog he used to have and the dog's name."

No wonder people don't think I am a native speaker!

These are better:

"about THE dog he used to have"
OR
"about A dog he used to have"
Joe   Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:56 am GMT
his spanish sounds ugly
Janice   Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
Having studied linguists and literature at a British university, I would recommend that you study some European language, such as German which would be very economically useful. If you are what they call a 'language person,' i.e. you pick up languages well and can comprehend grammar and so on, I would learn chinese. It is a complex and supposidly difficult language but as I'm sure the intelligent people around will know, China is about the burst into the economy.
K. T.   Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:34 am GMT
I suspect that our budding polyglot from Korea already knows some Chinese. He said "Ni hao" in a video on youtube when he was "counting down/greeting people in multiple languages".

Germans will appreciate it if you learn German well, but I wonder how easy it would be to learn German in Korea-just in Korea. One poster who shows up here often suggests "Go to the country to learn the language." It isn't easy for everyone to do that, of course. Some languages can be learned in your own country. Spanish can be learned to a high level in the US, for example, but German in Korea? I don't know. I've met Japanese who learned English to a high level without living in an English-speaking country, so it CAN be done.

Does Korea have public TV with lots of language programs like Japan (the smorgasbord of language dabblers) has?
K. T.   Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:38 am GMT
"his spanish sounds ugly"

Did you understand him? He was speaking Spanish and Korean. He's still learning Spanish.
Super Korean   Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:00 am GMT
<Does Korea have public TV with lots of language programs like Japan (the smorgasbord of language dabblers) has? >

I have no idea how many language programs Japanese public TV has but Korea has a lot of language programs on TV.

The popular foreign languages on TV are English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French and German. (mostly in that order)

The radios, too, have language education programs and they even have Russian and Vietnamese education shows.
KinaKong   Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:08 am GMT
Why do you eat dogs in Korea? Dog is a man's best friend.
No wonder no one wants to be your friend so you're forgotten and ignored.