Job/language

Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 am GMT
Which language can provide many jobs in your country?
Which language seems to get more opportunity for getting job in your country?
Morticia   Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
I live in Barcelona, so I would say Spanish.
Rui   Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
Morticia is right, but if you want to estabelish a bussiness not just getting a job in Barcelona I'm quite sure you need Catalan also. I'm thinking it has some comercial advantage.

I can say something for sure: To know english In Portugal doesn't get you a job anywere, Why? Because all the youth knows it (in different degrees). Considering this, I would say that knowing a completely very not-know language (and still worlwide important) is better for you to get a job.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm GMT
<<Morticia is right, but if you want to estabelish a bussiness not just getting a job in Barcelona I'm quite sure you need Catalan also. I'm thinking it has some comercial advantage. >>

Knowing catalan is like knowing English in the laboral market here in Barcelona and metropolitan area, a plus in your curriculum, but it is not strictly necessary to run a business in Barcelona or to apply for a job. That is my experience in Barcelona. I'm from Extremadura but I don't speak Catalan . Only have passive knowledge and never was required to speak catalan. If you work in the local administration you will be asked to speak catalan.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
I forgot to mention that I work in the Information Technology sector.
Qwerty   Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:15 pm GMT
Rui is right. You must know your mother tongue and English. Rui says that all people speak English (or at least they say that in their CV). So, you need to speak another one to have a better CV.

It must be a World language: Chinese, Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian or German, depending on the area where you live.

If you live in the European Union, for instance, French, German or Spanish is a good choice.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm GMT
In Spain most of people know basic English, but very few are fluent enough to hold a conversation with a foreign customer. So I would try to be fluent in English before studying another language. Probably a curriculum that says you are fluent in English is much better thant another one with basic English and basic French.
sisi   Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 am GMT
In China, Mandarin Chinese can provide most jobs. Howreve, if you can speak fluent English and other languages, like Japanese, french, Greman, you can have more opportunity for getting job .
So if you want to get a job in China, you should learn Chinese well in the first time, to help you learn Chinese faster and quicker, check http://www.hellomandarin.com/ilovechinese
Alessandro   Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:06 am GMT
At this moment Russian, Arabic and Chinese are a must in Italy.
Guest   Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
In Britain, French and German are the two most important foreign languages.
Rui   Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am GMT
I guess it all depends were you live and were your apllying for. For example I would think that a Bay Area Company would look more carefully if a CV said Mandarin knowledge than a Boston Company. Or a Dallas company would look for Spanish more than lets say a Detroit one.

Concerning Catalan, I wold say that yes you can live in Barcelona for ever and not knowing it perfectly. You should know better than i do as I've been there only as a tourist. When I was saying its important for bussiness, I was saying for a small/medium bussiness that has to deal on a daily basis with other Catalan Suppliers and Clients.
original name   Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:33 am GMT
in Papua New Guinea, Hiri Motu is very important