What age is better for learning languages?

Guest   Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:17 am GMT
Do you think what age is better for learning languages?
Teenage, adult or?

Adults need to work and they don't have much time, so it's not suitable for them to learn languages.
Teenage (in Asia) need to make the university entrance exams, senior high school entrance exams, so it's not suitable for them to learn languages.

Old men will be suitable after they are retired from work and get the final money from company.
Guest   Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am GMT
Above is my experience for living in Asia.
Asians(especially in East Asia) are not happy,but Europeans are.
K. T.   Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
Any age is okay. Kids will learn quickly and people who are motivated will learn at any age.

People who already know a language or two can continue learning at an advanced age. Some universities or community organizations may allow senior citizens to take classes for free. I would suggest that teachers take some of the older students' needs into account and use a slightly larger font with languages that use accents.

Seniors who read this may need to get a hearing device if their hearing has noticeably diminished before they take language classes.

People who work can study a language for fifteen minutes during the week and thirty minutes a day on their day off and make good progress. They can do this by listening while they do something (taking a bath/shaving/ cooking dinner). Motivation counts for a lot.

Teenagers who have the opportunity should take as many languages as they can for free at public school if they think that they have the "ear" or the interest in languages. It doesn't matter if they plan to be a physician or attorney later. Language skills will help them develop their minds.

Parents can have language tapes and songs for toddlers and babies.
Be consistent in sharing your love of languages. Some parents will want to send kids to a bilingual or multilingual day classes. I'm personally interested in how well this turns out. I wasn't impressed with kids who went to weekly French class, but kids who had daily Spanish seemed to do well. Then there is "juku" for Japanese kids, Chinese school and Korean school in some places.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 am GMT
As with anything, i'm sure younger, the better, but anyone can learn. The brain stops developing at around age 20, and then simply starts going downhill. Right at that peak, it starts "going bad." Luckily, experiences, further learning, and maturity in adulthood would seem to negate a lot of it until a certain age, so that adults are still smarter and wiser than teens, but the "agility" or capabilities of the younger brain is still higher.

I was born and raised in US, but my parents are from central america... so learned both spanish and english growing up... it was never extra work; english with friends and school books, spanish at home with family. So i never felt like i was putting effort into learning another language, That effort i put into French; i had french books, french cartoons, shows, etc., and then took 3 years in high school. By end of this semester, i will have finshed 2 more years of French in college. If it wasn't for my loss in practice though, and not having any French friends or anyone to practice with... my French would probably have been as good as my spanish by now. :(
qin   Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:57 am GMT
I think old age maybe the most appropriate, because they have both money and time, however, they don't have so much motivation, who is too old to suffer so much work.
It's said the earlier you learn, the better, because you will master it easier and use it more. But there is no prove of it, if you want to learn, age is not the problem, I believe.
To help you learn Chinese online, check http://www.hellomandarin.com/ilovechinese
Xie   Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 pm GMT
愈來愈討厭這類廣告。

I can't really say you guys doing anything against this sort of lame ads.

>>
Teenagers who have the opportunity should take as many languages as they can for free at public school if they think that they have the "ear" or the interest in languages. It doesn't matter if they plan to be a physician or attorney later. Language skills will help them develop their minds.

Needless to say, money decides everything. Some Germans say they can study up to 4 languages in the Gymnasium - I can't. I could start all over again, but my country just wouldn't allow me to learn that many. In fact, what's the point of 4?

Naturally, owing to very low (or if at all) demand, not every country can offer as many languages as Germany does (and the US, where you can CHOOSE one or two among a few).

I had no choice. Mandarin up to (roughly) the 9th grade. Then with no exposure, a lot of guys of my age can claim NO knowledge to it; they had to learn it thru conscious study, thru watching TV (without much meaningful comprehension)... and without further linguistic knowledge offered in class (to be exact, none at all), many of them complain about sucking in it despite talking a lot with their northern classmates at university.

And English? Most teachers I met simply fxxked up the pronunciation, taught no grammar at all, and I still wonder why how on earth I could manage it despite almost non-existent explicit tuition. In Hong Kong, you aren't really taught English; you are TOLD wrong stuff, but you are supposed to do well when everything is in English. So, our miracle is essentially anti-antimoon: without flashcards and even any sort of decent instructions that would be deemed at least proper by ESL teachers at large, many of us manage to do quite well. A common rule of thumb is: if it SOUNDS right, write it.

We do hate others' wrong English, but that "SOUNDS right" is also fixed in our mind that... eh... our English seems so good to most who might not have learned any English properly at all despite a lot of classes.

I'd attribute this to our heaaaaaaaavy use of English in maaaaaaaaany areas.