Do Spanish speakers in America pronounce S different?

Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:23 am GMT
Spanish speakers say everything with less of a hard edge to them like English speakers.

Los hablantes de español dicen todo con menos de una arista dura a ellos como hablantes de ingles.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 am GMT
America from "Amerigo Vespuccio", the Italian explorer and cartographer.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:40 am GMT
Colombia from "Cristoforo Colombo", Italian navigator, colonizer and explorer.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:43 am GMT
Cristobal Colon was Spanish, not Italian.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:50 am GMT
"Cristobal Colon was Spanish, not Italian."

hahahahaha

And why "Colombia" is not "Colonia"?

"Christopher Columbus (Italian: Cristoforo Colombo) (1451[1] – May 20, 1506) was an Italian navigator, colonizer and explorer whose voyages across the Atlantic Ocean led to general European awareness of the American continents in the Western Hemisphere."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55 am GMT
That thing is easy to explain: Because during the Mediaeval Age important people used their latinized surnames and Colon in Latin is Colombus, hence Colombia. As you may know , Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Anyway most of Wikipedias (aside from the English version) put into question the nationality of Colombus, they don't say "he was Italian". Also the English entry for Colombus is locked for that reason, there is a lot of controversy about his nationality. One can't simply say that "he was Italian" because there are not evidences. I would bet for his Spanish nationality because the Spanish Kings would had not given so much credit to a foreign navigator. Probably he was a Spanish jew as well.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:07 am GMT
"That thing is easy to explain: Because during the Mediaeval Age important people used their latinized surnames and Colon in Latin is Colombus, hence Colombia. As you may know , Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Anyway most of Wikipedias (aside from the English version) put into question the nationality of Colombus, they don't say "he was Italian". Also the English entry for Colombus is locked for that reason, there is a lot of controversy about his nationality. One can't simply say that "he was Italian" because there are not evidences. I would bet for his Spanish nationality because the Spanish Kings would had not given so much credit to a foreign navigator. Probably he was a Spanish jew as well."

bullshit
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am GMT
Cristóvão Colombo (LOCAL INCERTO[1], c. 1437/1448 — Valladolid, 20 de Maio de 1506) foi um navegador e explorador que alcançou a América em 12 de Outubro de 1492 sob as ordens dos Reis Católicos de Espanha. Empreendeu a sua viagem através do Oceano Atlântico com o objectivo de atingir a Índia, tendo na realidade descoberto as ilhas das Caraíbas (Antilhas) e, mais tarde, a costa do Golfo do México na América Central.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crist%C3%B3v%C3%A3o_Colombo

What we positvely know is that at he lived most of his life in Spain and died also in Spain. His origins are unclear and subject to "patriotic" and biased theories.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 am GMT
"What we positvely know is that at he lived most of his life in Spain and died also in Spain. His origins are unclear and subject to "patriotic" and biased theories."

bullshit
The spirit of Colombus   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 am GMT
I was Spanish. Now that you know the reality I can rest in peace.
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 am GMT
you are a spanish idiot with a lot of economic problems
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 am GMT
I'm Portuguese and you are a envious spaguetti eater. Spain has economic problems (like the rest of countries) but Italy has much more ones. Hahaha.

Italy nears recession as GDP slides
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/08/business/8italecon.php

So take care about your own problems before talking about the Spanish ones, idiot.
Alessandro   Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 am GMT
Cristoforo Colombo was Genoese as Marco Polo was Venetian and Amerigo Vespucci was Florentine. Italy was born only in 1860 ad.
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:10 am GMT
Colon was Iberian, not Genoese, Italian, or whatever . He never wrote his diary in Genoese or another Italian dialect but in Spanish , Latin and Greek.
Santos   Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 am GMT
That usually is a determinant on the variety of Spanish-Portuguese you are hearing in Portugal. What they speak in Oporto or Lisboa is standardized and is also what you hear in popular language, music and television. If you go to regions in the Algarve area or visit Madeira or the acores you will experience a greater level of dificulty in their accents. They are further from Spanish I know someone who speaks Br. Portuguese specifically the variety spoken in Santa Catarina and this person went to those regions I mentioned and hardly couldn't understand anything they were saying but can perfectly understand standard popular varieties of Eu. Portuguese. If you go to the Camoes institute web sites you can hear some of the many different varieties spoken throughout the world and judge for yourself on the differences.