see you about

runCDfirst   Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:00 am GMT
hi,

i got this on/in e-mail from my chemistry teacher
ps(he's a native speaker)

Our final is on the 13th at 7-9 PM. See you about,

what does see you about mean?

and also... do we say ON my e-mail or IN my e-mail ?

thank you.
Guest   Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:06 am GMT
See you about means "see you around" or "I'll see you soon" (not far from here).

In my email.
Uriel   Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:59 am GMT
I would not personally ever use the phrase "see you about", only "see you around".
Guest   Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:06 am GMT
Congratulations, anyway, see you about.
Terry   Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:35 pm GMT
I've hear of see you "at about" followed by a time, meaning approximately. I use see you around or jsut see you then. Maybe it's British English. They often say "about" when Americans would say "around."

In the email mostly, although I've heard people say on. I can't see anything worng with either one myeslf.
Terry   Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:35 am GMT
Yes, exactly. mjd. except in the US we'd more likely say: I'll meet you at around sevenish or oneish. Somtimes we might say at about sevenish, etc.
Guest   Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:42 am GMT
"See you about!" is short for saying "I'll see you around and about".
Terry   Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:04 am GMT
"I'll meet up with you at about 2:00, ok?" = "I'll meet up with you around 2:00, ok?" . . . I'm American as well, Terry.

Really? I never have said meet "up" with with you. Where in the states are you from, mjd?

One thing I'm learning from this site is how different we are in the US, almost as if we're foreigners, really. I often think our country is too big and different to survive.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:49 am GMT
I'm from New Jersey, Terry.

Oh New Jersey, mjd, well that explains everything!

Just joshing!