Accent of Call Center Agents and influence on American Accen

Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:34 am GMT
Hi,

I was the Guest above. Ravi, I would answer to your questions later.

Uriel, you never mentioned if the American call center workers with whom you spoke were Americans or if their work was outsourced to any other places.....

Damian,

I understand your words as those on the sharp sword. It does not let one to stand on that nor does it let to jump aside. They tilt either side. Ok, that’z all of kidding...... ;)

<<As I say, I don't have any real problem with it myself>>
Least accepted that you are not satisfied. So, it can be judged that one can understand the Indian accent.
<<Brits do have a habit of moaning and whingeing anyway>>
It is not the work of the operator to know if the person is moaning. It’s his/her care to see if the person on the other side is satisfied. However, I understand that they not only complain but also praise many a times. The ’mericans are the opposite. They never complain nor praise. They look for an opportunity to sack the person indirectly. That's again a hopeless behavior, and inhuman.

Ravi,
<<if you notice it is the system that is making us fight amongst ourselves>>

I rather hate these true political meaningless words. They are a real way of escapism. Complaining the system is not a way of success. As Damian suggested, you would be a creature of sympathy.

The later but better, your grammar is not as is to be. (I assume that I am not rude). I am proud (?) that you say those words about the country, brothers, economy....etc...! But I can suggest you only on your words rather than your thinking. Work on you grammar and a little on your punctuation. Speak to people who are well off in the language then the learners. I can't suggest more as I am not the one who looks for an opportunity to always teach others. I hope to see more of your words in this forum (although am not a regular visitor).
(One suggestion is that when you use your name, start with a Capital letter. That’s much not related to grammar, but it shows your attitude :) )

Thanks,
Educator
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:19 pm GMT
On the whole outsourcing issue:

You know what, Americans and Europeans, these Indians call centre agents need their jobs MUCH MORE than you do. So do the Chinese workers in Guangdong factories. And plus (and look here, Continental Europeans), they're more than willing to work for their money. Now, don't go about whingeing and crying for protectionism when your workers just aren't competitive in the global market.

What's more... if one of your countrymen gets laid off, he goes back home, gets depressed for some time, and uses off his savings until he can get a new job. If he can't, at least you've got homeless shelters and food stamps.

How about China and India? If a fellow can't get a job, and there are bad harvests in his village, he and his family STARVE to death.

-------
Okay, that said, I'll go back on topic:

1. Educator, or the self-named "Educated One" is downright rude. What's more, it's HIS grammar that's HORRIBLE. Sorry, I am very tolerant of English learners and would love to help them, but I CANNOT put up with a person who lashes out at others' grammar whilst his own English is a bit dubious. So, Mr Educator, I suggest that you condescend to read the corrections and comments below...

"Complaining the system is not a way of success."
--> To quote Educator himself, these are "true political meaningless words". In any case, the sentence should be corrected as thus: "Complaining ABOUT the system is not the way to success."

2. "The later but better, your grammar is not as is to be."
--> Now, I can make neither head nor tail as this. Actually, I think Ravi's grammar is better than Educator's. What's more, Ravi probably knows how to punctuate and capitalise very well, but simply chose to ignore these elements.

3. "But I can suggest you only on your words rather than your thinking."
--> "But I can give you suggestions only on your words and not your thinking."

4. "I can't suggest more as I am not the one who looks for an opportunity to always teach others."
--> HA, HA! Neither am I, usually, unless people ask me to teach them, but you've really got me fired up now.

--------
Thank you, Ravi. You're a beacon of a positive attitude, much more than I am. I have had no problems at all with Indian call centre agents, and I find them to be very, very polite, helpful, and informed. Here's a HURRAH for your work and efforts.
greg   Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:24 pm GMT
Bonnie Zhang : « And plus (and look here, Continental Europeans), they're more than willing to work for their money. Now, don't go about whingeing and crying for protectionism when your workers just aren't competitive in the global market. »

Mais la Chine n'est ni compétitive ni productive ! Tu confonds surexploitation sociale, concurrence déloyale et capitalisme sauvage avec performance économique à long terme... Un employé chinois 30 fois moins payé que ses homologues occidentaux avec des droits sociaux réduits à néant n'est pas plus compétitif que les autres : il est plus exploité.

La Chine vit de son secteur secondaire (industrie = 50 %) alors que son secteur tertiaire est très peu développé (services = 30 %). Comment peut-elle être plus compétitive que les pays occidentaux ?!

Enfin, si la productivité chinoise (PIB par travailleur ou PIB par heure effectivement travaillée) connaît une forte croissance, ce n'est pas parce que la Chine possède un secret magique pour travailler plus vite et mieux ; c'est tout simplement parce qu'elle part de *TRÈS* loin. Si la Chine était réellement productive et compétitive, elle absorberait 70 % du PIB mondial. Mais c'est vraiement pas le cas : le PIB chinois est du même ordre que le PIB français...
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
Bonnie Zhang,

You have an acceptable grammar. I admire you. It sounds just like the one taught to me when I was in standard 3. (Should I say even before that?)

<<Okay, that said, I'll go back on topic>>
Should you go “on” topic???

<<Now, I can make neither head nor tail as this>>
<<can make neither…as this…..>>
Mistakes happen at the learning stage. That's ok.

<<I CANNOT put up >> put up what?

<<HA, HA! Neither am I, usually, unless >> any more words in this series?

<<I have had no problems at all with Indian call centre agents, and I find them to be very, very polite, helpful, and informed.>>
I am surprised!!!!
<<Indian call centre agents>>
Agents? Are you a hypocrite who is ashamed to say that you are an Indian?
Shame on you!

My sincere request (as you are a learner) to you is to stop using those uppercase letters in between your sentences. I suggested Ravi with his name in concern. You are rather smart enough to use it all though your conversation. (Although it looks ugly)

I would rather not comment on your initial paragraph. That makes no sense. That sounds a typical article stolen from a newspaper.

It is much interesting that you are trying to teach others. Please attend a good training course in English. Wish luck be with you on your next comment.

(Start reading Novels & articles - especially those from “The Hindu”. You will better understand my words)

I'll admire you for using the dictionary at your best. Language is best understood with minimal and easy words. Starting practicing that.....

Educator (laughing at you)
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:55 pm GMT
Oui, je vous comprends. Mais en tout cas, c'est encore vrai que le chinois a plus besoin de son travail que le français ou l'américain, exactement parce qu'il n'y a aucune "protection sociale" en Chine.

Combien de personnes sont mortes de faim chaque année en France ou aux États-Unis? L'exploitation des travailleurs chinois est une histoire triste, mais c'est meilleur que la pauvreté.
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 pm GMT
<<You know what>>
<<And plus>>
<<Now, don't go about >>
<<and uses off his >>
<<If a 'fellow' can't get a job>>
<<family STARVE to death>>
<<and there are bad harvests>>
<<Okay, that said>>
<<I'll go back on topic>>
<<To quote Educator himself>>
<<Actually, I think >>
<<What's more, Ravi .....>>
<<but you've really got me fired up now>>
<<much more than I am>>

Please let me know if I have missed something.....
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
Mr Educator is a funny chap. As he is laughing at me, I'm laughing at him too. And of course I'm able to use simple words, which I usually do, actually.

"Neither head nor tail as this" --> The "as" was a typo. "Neither head nor tail of this" is what I meant to type.

"Back on topic" --> Yes, it IS "on" topic. That's what I've learnt, heard, and used all my life. Yes - heard - even from Britons and Americans.

"Agents? Are you a hypocrite who is ashamed to say that you are an Indian?"

Erm, not everyone's Indian, you know? How funny. This makes me want to use the accent that my desi classmates taught me. But trust me, I'm 100% Chinese.

Learner, haha... at least that's true. I'm a lifelong learner. I have learnt, written, and spoken English since I was one year old, and I'm still doing all of that now.

And finally, "typical article stolen from a newspaper"? You know, most newspapers are available online so you can run a simple Google search to see if I plagiarised.
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:16 pm GMT
Miss what, Educator? So-called "errors"? Other than "uses off" and "as this", none of the lines you highlighted have mistakes.

Where are Damian and Ravi?
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 pm GMT
<<I can make neither head nor tail as this>>
I can make/I can't make....this is typo....
but not 'as' for 'to'.....
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:20 pm GMT
You are a Chinese! I rather not comment on your english anymore.
I felt I wasted enough time....

Thanks
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:27 pm GMT
"but not 'as' for 'to'....."

Heheh, then you are also mistaken. The sentence was supposed to read "I can make neither head nor tail OF this."

If I'm to take your word, then "to" for "of" isn't a typo either. *Patpat* It's all right, my dear.

And of course I'm Chinese. Just look at my surname. You're such a funny person, you know?

By the way, there are...
2 million Chinese Americans,
1.5 million Indian Americans,
1 million British Indians,
1 million Chinese Canadians, and
250,000 British Chinese,
so just being Chinese or Indian doesn't mean that you're not a native English speaker.
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:29 pm GMT
<<You know what>>
<<And plus>>
<<Now, don't go about >>
<<Okay, that said>>
<<Actually, I think >>
<<What's more, Ravi .....>>

Poor English.
Do you want me to point out the mistakes in your other statements?

<<which I usually do, actually>>

I did not want to point it anymore. But I could not take it anymore too...
Educator   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:32 pm GMT
<<The sentence was supposed to read >>
Oops...one more....
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
Ha ha ha.

Ask any Briton or American if these are "mistakes" or "poor English". They're not. It's YOU who think these are mistakes because it's YOUR English that's bad.

So, would someone neutral party please come here and point out the REAL mistakes.
Bonnie Zhang   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
some* neutral party.