Pronunciation of I'm doing it

Ibey   Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:55 am GMT
Why do many people pronounce this as Am doon it?
Johnny   Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:24 am GMT
I guess maybe it's more like "Um do in it", but the first vowel is just the "I" that has become a monophthong.
Uriel   Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
The G tends to get a little lost, as it wouldn't be pronounced full-strength anyway; it just modifies the N in "doing". It's is common in many dialects to drop it altogether so that the worde becomed "doin'". And in quick speech, you might not hear the two syllables as doo-in as easily, although a native speaker would probably hear them (or at least assume that they were there, whether they are or not).
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:53 pm GMT
"I'm," of course should be pronounced properly, though. Not "am" or "um" but "I'm," I as in eye.

why? just how people are. there's accents, and there's also just laziness, and how the kids speak.

I don't know if anyone really pronounces "doing it" as "doon it;" that would mean PURPOSELY putiting the letter N, and that's... uncomfortable for me because it's not how the word should be. It probably sounds like that though, because the G is very soft. In fact, it's not really an indivudal sound; the ng are a different sound together, but it truly is a mix of N and G; N is prnounced one way, and like middle of the mouth, G is pronounced another way, and is farther back. Sound is made in between those, and mostly only properly sounded with a vowel, so better to say it with a word, like "doing."

Come to think of it, I would say it's the N that may be less pronounced than the G. NG sound is already in between, but it's the hard G sound that has a liason with "it." Like "I'm doing-git" or something. That's how I say it at least.

also, the I in doing may not be heard too well, partly because the accent is on the DO part.
Uriel   Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:45 pm GMT
<<Come to think of it, I would say it's the N that may be less pronounced than the G. NG sound is already in between, but it's the hard G sound that has a liason with "it." Like "I'm doing-git" or something. That's how I say it at least. >>

Very interesting! Sort of like the "Long-Guyland" phenomenon? (That's how Long Islanders are said to pronounce their home's name.)

It would never occur to me to link up the G in doing with the I in it -- not part of my accent, I guess. They remain completely separate for me.
doonut   Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 pm GMT
aIm dooun~ ut

The ng sounds like a nasal. So neither the n or g are pronounced!
Uriel   Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:27 am GMT
Sort of. They are not pronounced as if they stood alone as N and G. Together they usually make a new, single sound that is a nasal. So you won't be hearing the sound of N in "nice" or the G in "gate" or even the N+G in "finger". Think more of the NG in "singer" and how that differs from the sounds of "finger" and "sinner".