Is my pronunciation and accent awful?

Emma   Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
I record myself when I read a piece of news in English.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Jnj9u8Yds

Please give me some advice. Do I really sound so stupid? What is the problem with my pronunciation and accent? and what is the remedy?
Jasper   Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
Emma, I think you're being much too hard on yourself. Your English, while admittedly heavily accented, is easy to understand.

If you want to pursue accent reduction, buying Antimoon's software will help you learn how to make the specific sounds. To continue your goals, you could take a speech class at the local university (look for something called "Fundamentals of Speech"), or you could do shadowing work, which is tedious, grueling work, but is very effective.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors.
Guest of Honor   Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 am GMT
Lets be honest: yes, you have a very strong accent, and it is sometimes a bit hard to make out what you said. However, as long as u concentrate on ur speech and speak slowly (as u were doing in the video), u will be fine. I know people tend to speed up when they speak, so that is what you have to counter against. Speak slowwwwwwwwlllyyyyy.
JPT   Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 am GMT
I understood no problem... accent, definate, but really I can tell you are most likely East Asian; that said for your phonology is very clear (especially for a non-European). YOU ARE A CLEAR SPEAKER, keep working, but don't get bogged down trying to sound like too much like a native.