Are there any Antimooners learning Chinese?

Shuimo   Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
There are so many Chinese-learning commercials here on this website.
Shuimo   Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:58 pm GMT
I wonder whether there are Antimooners induced by the commercials.
John   Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:06 pm GMT
I'm learning Chinese. It's very useful to study the language of such an economic power like China. It's very nice too.
Shuimo   Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 pm GMT
John, which part of the Chinese language do you find most difficult?
The tones of the characters or writing the strokes of the characters or both?
Niko   Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
I used to learn Chinese back in high school. I found it interesting, but the need to learn a couple thousand characters just to be able to read annoyed me. I am learning French now because it has a shorter learning time, is fun to speak and would prove useful in my future plans to visit France, Switzerland and Belgium.
Rupert   Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
I was learning Chinese but gave it up after a trip to China which proved quite disappointing. I don't smoke and I don't want to live in a country where walking down the street is akin to smoking a pack of cigarettes.
Shuimo   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:16 am GMT
to Niko
The characters indeed takes a lot of getting used to!
If you get the rudiments of Chinese characters, they may not be so difficult to learn.
If you know the 1000 most frequently-used characters, it means you can read newspapers without much difficluty, because these characters are used in about 90% of linguistic data and corpus of the Chinese language .
Shuimo   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:18 am GMT
John
Which part of the Chinese language do you find most difficult?
Its grammar or pronounciation or writing?
Shuimo   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 am GMT
Rupert, pity on your travelling experience!
But I am afraid you were exagerating!
People do smoke, but certainly not to the extent walking down the street is akin to smoking a pack of cigarettes.
Wayne   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 am GMT
I am from the Ghetto, and only recently escaped it. Does that mean that I wouldn't call that part of town "the ghetto"? No of course not. That would be ridiculous. The high rate of violence and crime from my old neighborhood is directly linked to poverty, and poor economic conditions. So yes, regions where people are more economically prosperous are better places to live. Where I live I now, I don't have to worry about getting in a fight every single day. I can feel safe riding the bus for the most part. This personal security is a major factor of one's quality of life.
maybe   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 am GMT
I've learnt Chinese, because I'm a Chinese, honestly speaking, I think it more difficult than English. Even we Chinese need to spend almost 6 years to master the basic daily language and be able to write essays. So I think whether it easy or not depends on what you want to get from Chinese. If you only want to talk, just to learn some basic Chinese yourself and find some Chinese to practice. If you can't find some Chinese to practice, maybe internet friends are great. I know this site http://www.hellomandarin.com/connectingchina/ has some professional Chinese teachers for you to practice with.
Op-   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 pm GMT
What is with all the Chinese propaganda here? I think the people here are capable of finding materials to in the extraordinary case that someone would actually want to learn it. But this mindless promotion of Chinese smells of brainwashing and communism.

Hopefully people will learn Tibetan or Taiwanese or Uyghur or Mongolian instead of Mandarin.
Guest Star   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
this forum should be renamed ''Chinese'' due to mass propaganda here
Ashley   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:32 am GMT
What is a mong called??