PC insults?

ex-Guest   Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
In light of recent threads regarding use of the word 'retard' as an insult, I would like to know what words can actually be used as an insult without offending some minority group? How can I insult someone who is bothering me without potentially becoming the sworn enemy of the entire disabled community? If someone does something 'stupid' (is it ok to say stupid?) how can I mock them without using 'retard'? Would it be insulting to retarded people if I just pointed and laughed, as the insult could be perceived as 'implied'.
JTT   Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
If you call someone an "idiot", an "imbecile", a "fool", or a "putz", I doubt that you would insult a community of idiots, imbeciles, fools, and putzes.
Loris   Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:55 am GMT
Use asshole, that's a sure one. If a third ass listens, gets offended, and expresses its/his opinion, just sustain your breath, close your nose or go away for a while.
Mike Hoque   Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:31 am GMT
I called my PC a retard and my (now ex) girlfriend got mad. Is she just an idiot or was I wrong?

I called my work computer a retard, and she said it was insulting to retarded people. I told her that the word retard is actually an offensive term for the mentally challenged, and I was using it in the correct context. She got pissed off at me and hasn't spoken to me in days.

Was I wrong? Or is the reason she won't talk to me because she looked in a dictionary?
RayH   Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
<words can actually be used as an insult without offending some minority group?>

Attempting to avoid offending the terminally offended is impossible. Taking "offense" is a means of silencing people they don't agree with. It's also a means of avoiding having to defend their indefensible ideas.

<Was I wrong? Or is the reason she won't talk to me because she looked in a dictionary?>

I suspect your girlfriend is a victim of the thought police, probably without even realizing it. Depending how far gone she is you may be able to re-educate her... or not.
xxx   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:07 am GMT
<<Taking "offense" is a means of silencing people they don't agree with. It's also a means of avoiding having to defend their indefensible ideas.>>

Have you graduated primary school yet? Your "politics" are a little naive.
Uriel   Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:06 pm GMT
You're trying to insult people without actually offending them? That sort of defeats the purpose.....