What do you call the meals of the day in your dialect?

Troll   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:17 pm GMT
I call it this:

colazione

pranzo

cena

hahaha viva l'Italia!
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
<<While we refer to our weight in pounds, you'll often hear English folks measuring their weight in "stones," a unit that is not used in the U.S.>>

A stone is 14 pounds and is only usually used for weighing people. Most stuff is sold in the metric system these days unless you're a drug dealer where selling a kilogram of anything could land you a lengthy prison sentence.

<<I've heard in Queensland they don't have beer in pints—apparently its too hot way up north there, so if they get a pint of beer it'd be too warm to drink by the time they were finished.>>

Even my sister used to be able to down a pint in 8 seconds, so that's the worst excuse I've ever heard!
Felix the Cassowary   Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:26 am GMT
Hehehe: << I love Kelvins :-p. I used to deliver weather forecasts to my parents in Kelvins as a joke. *snicker* >>

Of course, given how the correct capitalisation is stressed to infinity, you'd've thought you'd know that it's spelt "kelvin". Still, the rules are quite simple: There's two rules, each with one exception. Aside form the degree Celsius, no metric measurement has a capital letter in its name, and the degree Celsius is a special case. For the symbols, if it's based on a personal name, it takes a capital letter, as in 30 K = 30 kelvin or 52 kPa = 52 kilopascals, otherwise it takes a lowercase letter, as in 30 m = 30 metres or 23 kg = 23 kilograms. The exception being the symbol for litres, which is optionally a capital L to help clarify between it and a 1.

Rick Johnson: <<Even my sister used to be able to down a pint in 8 seconds, so that's the worst excuse I've ever heard!>>

Just goes to show how unbearably hot it must be up in Qld!
Jim   Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:21 am GMT
Dear all,

Celcius is SI ... apparantly ... don't ask me why when litres are not. Everything is bigger in the U.S. except pints ... gallons, gills, quarts, etc. though fluid ounces are bigger becuse they only have four to a gill (16 to a pint) as opposed to five per gill (20 per pint). Felix, you say a fluid ounce of water doesn't weigh an ounce (avoirdupois) ... oh but it does ... as long as you've got the right thermodynamic conditions (62 degrees Foreignheight (this is the korrekt spelling) ... what's that in kelvins? ... and with the barometer standing at 30 inches of mercury ... convert that into Pascals for me someone). This is the Imperial fluid ounce, of course. This relationship exists because, fancying the decimalisation of the metric system (of which SI is a subset), the English decided to define their gallon as the volume of ten avoirdupois pounds of water and bump their gill up to five fluid ounces; they also introduced the good old florin for similar reasons but that's a different story. None of this works for the U.S. fluid ounce of course because the U.S. gallon is defined as 231 cubic inches. So there you go. The Imperial system and the U.S. customary system are not identical but could both be aptly described as "English" systems of units. And, yes, to add to the confusion, you do have Troy ounces to measure expensive metals though the Troy pound is rarely used and is even outlawed in the U.K. There are also other variations but most of them are consigned to the history books except for the dry U.S. volumes.
kazoo   Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:36 am GMT
breakfast

lunch/dinner

supper
Felix the Cassowary   Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 am GMT
I had written a response to your post, Jim, but I lost it all in a power outage during the rain last night! (just a few blinks ... barely enough for the lights to go out, but too much for sensitive computers!).

So just briefly, you seem to be right about the degree Celsius being SI (though of course "celsius" is not SI). I imagine it's just a holdover from before the kelvin was standardised/invented or something... whereas the litre was always just a measurement of convenience, you can always have measurements of volume with cubic metres.

Evidently I was thinking of the American ounce. It's nice when you can make negative statements and always be right because there's two different systems :)

Google has a built in calculator-and-common-unit converter, so you can find the answer to 62 degrees fake in kelvin by going to http://www.google.com.au/search?ie=UTF8&q=62+degrees+fahrenheit+in+kelvin Unfortunately it doesn't know about inches of mercury, and I can't be bothered calculating it out...

Thanks for your other information/corrections. The imperial system, thank god, predates me.