Tom, smoking is too bad to be advertized

Laura Braun   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:13 pm GMT
Tom, I think that it's not so good to advertize yourself smoking a cigarette , because it's a bad habit which can tempt someone to start to smoke. I think that you look well even without a cigarette. You are a leader. You should be a good example for young people. Sincerely yours
Laura
TommyHawk:   Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
He is just being romantic with his many years of hard work that he has put into his learning. He just emphasized his feelings of tiredness with smoking a cig! Not a big deal. In reality, I am not sure if he smokes or not.
Jasper   Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
I don't care about Tom's smoking; his English skills interest me more.

Tom, if you're listening, I must tell you that I like the changes you've made in your website, including the fact that you've softened your rhetoric to a certain extent.
Laura Braun   Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:40 pm GMT
Jasper, you don't care about Tom's smoking, but I care for his health and about health of all those people who poisoned their lungs with tobacco.
Baba O'Reilly   Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
OMG. MYOB.
Uriel   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:30 am GMT
There is no Z in advertised -- it's always spelled with an S, like surprise.
Johnny   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:39 am GMT
<<even without a cigarette>>
<<poisoned their lungs with tobacco>>

Cigarettes? Tobacco? Come on, look at his face in that picture, that was good stuff. Very little tobacco in it, I would guess, so there's no need to worry!
Laura Braun   Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:53 am GMT
Johnny, I don't think so. It's like an advertisement of something which can kill you. Smoking is bad. You can get cancer.
Morticia   Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 pm GMT
I do agree with Laura. Smoking is just a drug that kills people. It should not be advertised.
1   Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:50 pm GMT
There are plenty of us left that enjoy a bit of tobacco every now and then. Sure, there are risks, but there are risks with everything. This just in from the wire: LIVING CAUSES DEATH.

This is an English language forum, not an anti-smoking soapbox. If Tom wants to pose with a picture of a cigarette, it is his right. You may or may not agree with his choices, but it is HIS choice, not YOURS. He is not doing anything illegal.

Tom, keep up the good work.
Laura Braun   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
Even if a person start to smoke, because of Tom's advertisement that means that Tom stimulates people to smoke. You know I'm non smoker. But when I go in the company of smokers I smoke. So enjoy your tobacco somewhere else in US it's not modern to smoke, smokers are only some retarders. That's for sure.
3   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:21 pm GMT
I think it's postcoital cigarette. So I'm happy for him.
And this time he's gonna tell us all...
Caspian   Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:55 pm GMT
Come on, it's only a cigarette. Few people are weak minded enough to start smoking just because of that - and, if they are, good luck to them, they'll be hooked on something else soon.

Johnny, you're probably right lol
Tom   Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:59 pm GMT
For the record, I don't smoke cigarettes, I was just having a bit of fun for the photo...

But in any case, most of you people just talk about the risks of smoking, what about the advantages? Cigarettes make you look cooler, they facilitate social communication (you can go on cigarette breaks at work, you can be more relaxed because you don't have to talk the whole time), they help you calm yourself when you're stressed out. Increased self-esteem, better social ties, and reduced stress levels are good for your health, so one has to wonder whether sometimes the good effects outweigh the health risks. Let's not be dogmatic about it.

And by the way, health isn't everything. I personally think that TV programs like MTV should be banned because they promote shallow lifestyles and inspire young people to misuse their lives in the worst possible way. Now I wonder which does a greater harm: actors smoking cigarettes in film-noir movies or TV shows that reduce humanity to fashion, plastic surgery and interior decoration?

Oh, and Jasper, what did you mean when you said that I "softened my rhetoric"?
Laura Braun   Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
Tom, it's obvious I'm not a good reader so what I did get it from whole of it is my desire to smoke when I see you smoking honestly. But I have no cigarettes, neither the way to gain them so I ask my self why should I don't hide myself and smoke a cigarette by the time the whole damn world is watching tv. Tom , you are a good boy, those people who said do this do that they try to brainwashed us. It's all about if we are free to smoke a cigarette by the time whole society explain us that smoking is bad. We have a choice.
TV brainwashed those people who stuck on the TV's.