What do you call your teachers in English?

Mark   Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
Are there any slang or colloquial words for "a teacher"? Thanks ahead))
Mark2   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:40 pm GMT
Guru
Uriel   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:21 am GMT
There really aren't a lot of them, to be honest. Maybe that's because generally we simply call them by a token honorific plus their last name: Mr. Green or Ms. Brenner for primary and secondary school teachers, Professor Green or Dr. Brenner for tertiary school teachers (who are generally called "professors" at that level rather than "teachers"). So we don't have a lot to work with. Short forms like "prof" and "teach" exist, but are very uncommon in actual speech.
Stewdent   Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:33 am GMT
I once had a teature who I called a son-of-a-bitch.

He was fond of using phrases like "If you can go one day without it, you can go two days without it. If you can go two days, you can go four." and so on and with different periods, often extending the idea to the end of time. He would use these examples to prove both sides of arguments. For example, if I can go without chocolate for one week, surely I can go without it for two. And if I can go without chocolate for two weeks, surely I can go without it for a month. And if one month, why not two or twelve? And fine, Yes, I don't NEED chocolate.

But I can probably go one day without water. And I might be able to go two. But I don't think I'd make it to four. And a week would probably kill me.

So which is this? Four weeks ago I lost something. The first week without it was so hard I almost tried to get it back, barely resisting. The second week was much harder. MUCH harder. And I did take action to try to understand my loss better, and I survived the second week. And if I can survive two weeks without, I can survive four, right? All I had to do was make it to this morning, and I've survived four weeks. So which is this? Is this like giving up food, where I can survive four weeks but not more than six? Or is this like giving up coffee, where I could theoretically go forever?
Adrian   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:31 am GMT
Those who can do.
Those who can't teach.
And those who can't teach, teach teachers.
Mark   Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm GMT
We old fashioned people (born era of great music - new wave), call our male teachers Sir and female teacher miss (regardless of marriage), unless permitted to use their last name, then it reverts to Mr. Smith or Mrs, Miss Jones (not used Ms nasty americanism, jk).
Caspian   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 pm GMT
Is that old fashioned? It's done in my school which I still attend!

Yes, the female teachers are always called 'Miss' - and the male teachers are called 'Sir' - if talking about them, you use their surname as well, but never to them - or at least nobody in my school ever would.

Even if they're married, you never use 'Mrs' - even if you're talking about them.
TommyHawk:   Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:37 am GMT
We use sir and maam for calling our teachers at univ.
Mark   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 pm GMT
"Is that old fashioned?"

Try doing that outside of a school setting

Caspian - are you a yank (or southerner). - I think Americans may do the same, but believe it is less the norm.
Skippy   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm GMT
In high school, teacher, or Mr. whoever.

In college, professor or doctor, Prof. whoever or Dr. whoever.
• Please don't post as &   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:08 am GMT
I recalled a few teachers being provoked when students addressed them as "Missy".