"Don't fall under the spell"

choose   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:23 am GMT
I briefly looked up the expression but strangely couldn't find the meaning.
beneficii   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:59 am GMT
Falling under someone's spell means to come under their control in some way.
choose   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am GMT
thnx
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:05 am GMT
It can involve complete and utter mesmerisation.........as when Blake is around. They are 100% English guys who all met on Facebook, got together and are now top ace in a spell binding way. I have seen them in concert here twice - magic.

Although they are singing in Spanish here (among the sand dunes on a beach by the look of it) - they all speak in a 100% Southern English English RP accent.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4YCgRfX2c&feature=channel
Laura Braun   Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:10 pm GMT
I'm under your spell like a man in a trance
But I know darn well, that I don't stand a chance so
Unchain my heart, let me go my way
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:12 pm GMT
Many people in the UK are firmly under the spell of Blake - a group of four singers, all uni graduates, and who all came together via Facebook, and they took the name Blake in honour of one of England's most well known poets as well as being a painter, engraver and mystic - William Blake (1757-1827) - one of his most famous lines is "Tiger, Tiger burning bright, in the forests of the night", and one of his most famous works "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" - and of course the words for one of England's most famous and often sung hymns - "Jerusalem" - sung at many of England's public events as well as at weddings, including that of one of my cousins who married an English girl from Wallingford, Oxfordshire. Blake's opening words to "Jerusalem" are, of course:

"And did those feet in ancient times, Walk upon England's mountains green, And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen..."

Blake (these four guys now - not the long deceased poet!) have often sung this in concerts all over the UK including one of the two which I went to when they were here in Edinburgh - singing "Jerusalem" in Scotland, but who cares!

As I say they all come from Southern England - although one of them, Jules Knight, is a gaduate of St Andrews University, just across on the other side of the Firth of Forth from here, in Fife.

Stephen Bowman (26) - Bath, Somerset
Jules Knight (26) - Sussex
Dominic Tighe (25) - Devon
Oliver Baines (25) - Wiltshire

All with Southern English English RP accents when speaking. They are very adept at singing in several Continental Languages.

At this time of the year more and more people are now wearing the red poppies of Remembrance so its apt to have Blake singing at one of the recent Festivals of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, in London:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MMu9TuD5NuA&feature=channel