What do you think of the BBC presenter Claire Bolderson?

Guest   Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 am GMT
The BBC presenter Claire Bolderson is now covering the US 2008 presidential eclection in the US. It seems that everytime the US presidential eclection takes palce, she is always sent to the US to bring back live coverage.
I think she is one of a very few truly articulate preseters among all her BBC colleagues on its World Service. She usually speaks very rapidly yet with quite a pleasantly clear, clipped accent, and with good logic.
Is any one here familiar with her voice? What do you think of her accent?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:01 am GMT
Basically she reports in standard English English RP, as you would expect -there is nothing remarkable abut that. She has been the foreign correspondent from the Washington Bureau of the BBC World Service for quite some time, as well as being the foreign reporter from elsewhere in the world, particularly from Indonesia.

She is a Londoner born and bred, educated at Oxford University, so her accent and style of speech is well fitting.
Guest   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am GMT
Thank you, Dan, for your informative reply!
Wow, she has such a remarkable qualification! No wonder she is such a good speaker.
BTW, have you ever considering working for the BBC, Dan?
I wonder how the prince of our Antimoon speaks.
Another Guest   Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
Odd that a presenter wouldn't have a full grasp on the English language. For instance, she said "from the age of 16, I though that journalism would be a career that I pursued" when it should be "...from the age of 16, I though that journalism would be a career that I would pursue".
Dale   Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:56 am GMT
She has a good grasp of what she needs to do.
Robin Michael   Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:48 am GMT
I recently went to a meeting on Teaching English as a Foreign Language. At the meeting was a local woman with a the local accent/dialect who works for a 'Family Support Group' that supports speakers of the Doric dialect.

She made some sort of grammatical error, (I will not explain what she said). I mentally corrected what she said in my mind, but I realised that I would be very foolish to say anything.

I would have put myself firmly in the camp of the enemy.

So you just have to accept that 'English people' ie 'People from Aberdeen' do not speak English properly.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:08 am GMT
I've never been addressed as Dan before, but I really don't mind. Maybe Daniel would suit me better than the name I was given at the font. Being confused with some kind of anti-Christ does get a wee bit tiresome at times. Working for the BBC? Sorry - I don't quite meet their excessive PC criteria, but thanks all the same for your compliment.

Robin Michael - are you trying to incite mass demonstrations up there in the Granite City? "English people" indeed!