Recommend an American English podcast website?

nick   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:11 am GMT
I'd like to listen the news or talk podcast, but sometime I can understand what they say, so are there any website to provide text that what they are talking, word by word. I think that will be better for me. When I cannot understand, I can check the test. In addition, I can practice my spoken English by follow their talking by reading the text. Thank you!
MollyB   Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
nick   Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:48 am GMT
I think it's a good website, but it require you to register, 10 for basic, and 60 for premium. Are there any free one out there?
nick   Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:58 am GMT
http://www.voanews.com/english/portal.cfm
This is what I am using now. It's pretty good.
Danni   Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:37 pm GMT
nick   Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 am GMT
Thank you, Danni. I am looking for American English.
MollyB   Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 am GMT
<I think it's a good website, but it require you to register, 10 for basic, and 60 for premium. Are there any free one out there? >

Nick, you can listen to many of the Pods there for free and without registering. Just click on "Listen".
Nick   Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:52 pm GMT
Thank you, MollyB. Yeah, I can listen to some of those for free. Another thing is they don't speak at the normal speed. It's kind of strange for me. Do you have any other websites?
Uriel   Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 am GMT
What about NPR (National Public Radio)? They're American, they cover a wide range of subjects, they usually speak clearly and at a moderate speed, and offer podcasts and transcripts. You even stand a good chance of hearing some regional accents here and there. I've never tried it myself, but they offer it on their website.
Martin   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:04 am GMT
From podcasting you can learn that if there are 3 consonants together, an "i" sound is inserted to break them up. There was an Egyptian musician and singer at a Middle Eastern restaurant who, when he had acquired enough English, to make the usual announcement about the band taking a break. He said, "We'll be back after a shorty break," which became a catch phrase among the dancers. They were relieved when he finally learned to say short break.