United States regional accents

Matt L.   Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:27 pm GMT
I was wondering if anyone could tell which region, and more specifically state, I'm from judging solely from my accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wuyYqWmfK8

I'd also like to see others post videos or MP3s, WAVs, etc., of the way they speak and have others try figure out what part of the world they hail from.

Ray's "My American Accent" post (http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t11627.htm) got me interested in having a sort of "show and tell" discussion of accents.
Milton   Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:05 pm GMT
Inland North.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English

You're not cot/caught merged, you have /Q/ in ''bought'' but /a/ to /{/ in ''cot'' and /ei/ in ''bags''

You could be either from Toledo, Detroit, Buffalo,
Milwaukee, Gary or Cleveland...
Un   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:02 am GMT
Well, here's mine. Although I speak plain, unaccented American English.

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/61915552/file.html
Annie   Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:18 am GMT
Pennsylvania.
Matt L.   Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:46 am GMT
@Milton:

I grew up in the northern part of Wisconsin, about 100 miles NW of Wausau, but my parents were from the Sheboygan/Manitowoc area. It's weird that I never notice when others say bæg but they seem to notice when I say beɪg.

@Un:

You seem to be cot-caught merged. I picked up on that right away, but there are numerous regions where this occurs so I can't be sure of the area. I'm sure someone more familiar with accents than myself can further pinpoint your region.
Cliff   Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 am GMT
Sounded a bit Canadian.
I agree with Milton. Inland North.

And to take a guess: Matt, you're from Michigan.
Un   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:10 am GMT
>> You seem to be cot-caught merged. <<

What's that?
Un   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:12 am GMT
>> And to take a guess: Matt, you're from Michigan. <<

No, he's from Wisconsin. He said so above. Which state do you think I'm from?
Cliff   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:50 am GMT
>> No, he's from Wisconsin. He said so above. Which state do you think I'm from?

No offense, but let me dare to say English is not your native language. Your accent is very clear, almost perfect, but there was something that made me doubt (too fast? too soft?... sorry, I can't tell. I'm not a linguist).

It sounds like you pronounced "sick" as "sink".
Point   Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 am GMT
>> No offense, but let me dare to say English is not your native language. <<

This comment has been made in every "Guess my accent" topic here, particularly to people from the Upper Midwest. While it is sometimes the case, most often it's not. To me he definitely sounds like a native speaker. And anyway, most non-native speakers end up with an odd mixed accent that is not easy to pinpoint, whereas this speaker clearly has a distinctly regional accent.
Skippy   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:29 pm GMT
<<Well, here's mine. Although I speak plain, unaccented American English.>>

There's no such thing as "unaccented" as a language is a collection of dialects. Unfortunately, I'm at work, so I can't check the file... But if you think you don't have an accent then you're probably from a larger city outside of the midwest.
Travis   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
>>>> No offense, but let me dare to say English is not your native language. <<

This comment has been made in every "Guess my accent" topic here, particularly to people from the Upper Midwest. While it is sometimes the case, most often it's not. To me he definitely sounds like a native speaker. And anyway, most non-native speakers end up with an odd mixed accent that is not easy to pinpoint, whereas this speaker clearly has a distinctly regional accent.<<

I have gotten practically the same sorts of comments in response to my own speech samples, even though the dialect here in Milwaukee combines both Inland North and Upper Midwest features.
Point   Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 pm GMT
@Un: I would guess that you're from either Pennsylvania, or the West, or the Midwest, or Alaska, or somewhere like Virginia or Maryland, or West Virginia, or a city like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. I can't pin it down any more than that.
Point   Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 am GMT
>> Sounded a bit Canadian. <<

In what way did Matt's speech sound Canadian? It wasn't even cot-caught merged.
Matt L.   Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:23 am GMT
"In what way did Matt's speech sound Canadian? It wasn't even cot-caught merged."

I wondered the same thing myself :)