let out a little faux knee-slap

H   Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:20 am GMT
<I've been sleeping like a baby,'' McCain told The Tonight Show's Jay Leno last night - "Sleep two hours, wake up and cry, sleep two hours, wake up and cry.''
McCain let out a little faux knee-slap for his well-timed, if well-worn, joke.>

“A knee-slap” is a very funny joke.
I don’t understand the meaning of the last sentence – McCain let out …
Please help.

Thanks.
Matthew   Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am GMT
A "knee-slapper" is a funny joke. A "knee-slap" is, well, a knee-slap. Anyway, back on point. "Let out" is usually used to reference a sudden involuntary vocal exclamation such as a shriek, laugh, gasp, etc., so their usage is baffling to me.

Example: "While watching a scary movie Robert let out a loud shriek, much to his embarrassment."

What they should have written:

"I've been sleeping like a baby,'' McCain told The Tonight Show's Jay Leno last night, giving a faux knee-slap for his well-timed, if well-worn, punchline. "Sleep two hours, wake up and cry, sleep two hours, wake up and cry.''
H   Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:36 am GMT
Still in the dark: “faux” along with ‘well-timed” and ‘well-worn”; let out a knee-slap for a joke. ???
Please elaborate.
Yeshua   Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 am GMT
Some people slap and punch things when they laugh for some reason. So Mr McCain started laughing and slapped himself on the knee. 'Faux' means it was not genuine. A 'well-timed' joke is one which is made at the best possible moment with the best possible impact. 'Well-worn' means it is a cliché that has been used by many people before - not original.
H   Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:19 pm GMT
Aha. Well-worn is hackneyed / trite. Yes, used by Bob Dole in 92, Kathy Karpan in 96 and Bush in 2000.

Some more questions.
Why “if’? if = even though?
“a little knee-slap” or a knee-slap which is “a little faux” ?
Why faux and not false?

It seems to me he neither laughed nor made any gestures while saying that. Could I have missed?