Native English Speakers' Help is Needed !

Imran   Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:24 am GMT
Please tell me which of the words in the dialogue below is more commonly used in the US, England, Australia and other English speaking countries.

Simon(pointing to an object) ''What's this"?
Peter replies; ''This is a pillow'' /It's a pillow.

What's more usual of these two? it or this
Guest   Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:28 am GMT
In the US, I'd say that "It's a pillow" is more natural, although just "a pillow" might even be more natural in this case.
imran   Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:05 am GMT
Thanks a lot , Guest. Can you tell me if there's any thing ungramatical with the usage of 'this' in that case.
Guest   Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:56 am GMT
"This is a pillow" in response to the question sounds too formal to me. Things may be different in the UK, Australia, Canada, etc.
Guest   Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:07 am GMT
<<What's more usual of these two? it or this>>
Neither.

All of the above: This is a pillow/It's a pillow/A pillow
Brennus   Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:30 am GMT
I pretty much agree with Guest .In vernacular English, 'It's a pillow' or just 'a pillow' are the answers you would hear.
Guest   Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:55 am GMT
It would be unusual to use "this" in a response to a question that uses "this" as well. "That's a pillow." would be better if you didn't want to just use "it" or omit the verb entirely.
Terry   Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
In the US we'd just answer the question with, "a pillow." Rarely we might use use "it's a pillow."
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:09 am GMT
If someone asked me that (I'm from the US), I think my response would sound like "S'a pillow" because I would put the 's' from 'it's' onto the 'a' and not say the 'it' part, mostly out of laziness.

It's probably the least grammatically correct of the responses, but that's what I'd naturally say if someone asked me.