General Features of Australian English

Klaus   Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:20 pm GMT
So there is a slightly different accent in New Zealand from Australians correct? What examples are there?
Rick Johnson   Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:24 pm GMT
I know when I was living in Melbourne, I was aware some difference between the Melbourne accent and places such as Bendigo. I could never quite put my finger on what it was, but I think it was more to do with differences in the way that words would rise and fall in pitch, rather than any noticeable changes in pronunciation.
Frances   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:44 pm GMT
Guest - I am 29. I do use 'inverted commas' occasionally as well as 66es and 99s.

Yes NZ and Australia have different accents. I have to go away to find something on that.

I couldn't comment on Melbourne v Bendigo. I've only been to Bendigo and although it was recent, I didn't really speak to any of the locals in Bendigo.
Guest   Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:02 am GMT
There is an enormous difference between Australian and New Zealand pronunciation, although the cadence is similar.

Australians and New Zealanders render short vowels quite differently. NZers pronounce a short I as a schwa (fit becomes f@t, a short A as a short E (thrash becomes thresh, and a short E is used where a short I is expected (fence becomes fince).

The other major difference is in the use of the broad A in certain words. A Kiwi will always say dahnce for dance, for example, while most Aussies won't, preferring pronunciation similar to that used by North Americans, but both will invariably pronounce such words as fast, last, can't with the broad A (fahst, lahst, cahnt).

The quick way to tell one from the other is to listen closely for a word with a short I in it; if you hear a real vowel, it's an Aussie, but if all you hear between the consonants is a grunt you've got a Kiwi.
Frances   Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:25 pm GMT
"The other major difference is in the use of the broad A in certain words. A Kiwi will always say dahnce for dance, for example, while most Aussies won't, preferring pronunciation similar to that used by North Americans, but both will invariably pronounce such words as fast, last, can't with the broad A (fahst, lahst, cahnt)"

Only for somethings. South Australians tend to say more words with a broad A than other states.
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 am GMT
Yeah...I don't know how "enormous" that difference is from an outsider's perspective. Autralians and New Zealanders sound very similar to me.
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:50 am GMT
Or, you know, AuStralians...