A Question

Ben   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:36 am GMT
I'v been always wanting to know the answer to a question.
It's all about english listening practice. I have several VCD movies all in english and would like to use them as a means for improving my listening skills. On the other hand, I have found their "text" on the intenet. I am willing to know if I watch the movies, with the text before me, or I try to undrestand the sentenses myself, and consult the text only if there's no other way to undrestand what I'm listening to. Would you please help me with that?
Guest   Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:52 am GMT
???
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:42 am GMT
I'd say if you're trying to use the movies, (and I think you're talking about what we in the US call DVD's) then go ahead and watch the movie but print out the internet text. Then read along with it at first. Later, you can just use it to help you with any sentences you still don't understand.

That's what I would do if I had any talent at all for languages. I admire anyone who tries to learn another language. Of course I know many people, for the sake of employment, are really forced to learn English. Very good luck to you.
Ben   Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 am GMT
Thanks Terry for your good tips. I'll follow them and hope they'll improve my listening skill. You know, learning english will help me have a little more enjoyable life, find answers to the questions I've ever had
and fulfill my all-the-time fantacies, via communication with the world.
I think it's reason enough to try to learn english and take time for it.
Brennus   Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:09 am GMT
Ben,

I found reading captions on Canadian French movies very helpful in learning more about their language. However your English already seems good enough that I think you can watch your movies without having to consult a written text very much.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:14 pm GMT
That's a good tip Brennus. I hate subtitles but it may be worth it for me to try that.
Ben   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 am GMT
Thanks Brennus. You know, I have much trouble underestanding the words and distinguish between thwe sounds, when people speak a little fast. This is my biggest problem. No matter how many movies I watch, how many songs I listen and how hard I try to improve my listening skill,
I get nowhere. It gets a bit better, but at a less than enough rate. It has really bored the heck outta me!!!