The vowels in ''fern'', ''fir'', ''fur''.

Brennus   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:00 am GMT
Previous post by Brennus addresed to Travis.
Albert   Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:37 am GMT
<<(Do "furry" and "hurry" rhyme for you? For American speakers I understand they do, but for most others they're distinct, as in AusE /f3:ri/ vs /hari/. This of course because in "hurry", the r comes before a vowel so the neutralisation does not happen; whereas in "furry", a -y is added to the root "fur" so the neutralisation occurs before the -y enters the picture.)>>

''furry'' and ''hurry'' don't rhyme for me. The vowels are clearly distinct in my accent.

furry - /f3`I/

hurry - /hVrI/ [hV4I]

Since I tap my r's, my ''hurry'' may sound more like ''huddy'' to you.
Felix the Cassowary   Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:14 am GMT
<<furry - /f3`I/ >>

So you pronounce that much the same as do Americans? Using a retroflexed vowel? Or is it just a syllabic tapped/trilled r, similar in quality to the r you put in "hurry", only syllabic?

<<Since I tap my r's, my ''hurry'' may sound more like ''huddy'' to you.>>

Wull uctually it's morr like "hoddy", bot dorn't waddy, if you huv a norrmal Scottish uccent, tharr's a lot of otherr things about it thut mairk it harrderr to onderrstund. (=my perception of a Scottish accent, doubled r's are meant to be pronounced, single r's are just part of a diagraph with the previous vowels. Grosely over-simplified and stereotyped.)

And it says:—"well actually, it's more like "hoddy", but don't worry, if you have a normal Scottish accent, there's a lot of other things that make it harder to understand". I'm show of cose thet thase theengs you could sigh about my eccent too! (=my guess as to how a Scottish English speaker might stereotype my Australian accent.)