Pray for

Music   Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:05 am GMT
When I listen to Aretha Franklin's "I Say a Little Prayer" there's something which I don't understand
I know that there's a difference between "pray for" and "pray to"
So why is she saying "pray for you" and then saying "answer my prayer" ?
If she's talking to the same person shouldn't she have used "pray to" instead of "pray for" ?
Another Guest   Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:22 am GMT
When does she say "answer my prayer"?
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:35 am GMT
The moment I wake up
Before I put on my makeup
I say a little prayer for you
While combing my hair, now,
And wondering what dress to wear, now,
I say a little prayer for you

Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, forever, we never will part
Oh, how I'll love you
Together, together, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only be heartbreak for me.

I run for the bus, dear,
While riding I think of us, dear,
I say a little prayer for you.
At work I just take time
And all through my coffee break-time,
I say a little prayer for you.

Forever, forever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, forever we never will part
Oh, how I'll love you
Together, together, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only be heartbreak for me.

My darling believe me,
For me there is no one
But you.
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:42 am GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SzBZzoVo1M

Listen, that's called obsession, you know why should she combs her hair and be so much obsessed of someone, why she doesn't thinks how beautiful she is , by the time she combs her hair. Why she said forever forever, by the time there is none reply her. I would make another song where her boyfriend comes suddenly and then they both start to sing 'forever, forever'... But anyways.
I say a little prayer - it's all about when she is scared to lose him. This prayer is for you, because I love you, I cannot live without you, so I pray for you even when you are not so close to me, I pray for you, because I miss you, I pray for you, because you are the Only, you fill my mind.
Anothe Guest   Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:13 pm GMT
I searched this page for the word "answer", and I didn't see it anywhere in the lyrics. So what are talking about?
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:49 pm GMT
Yeah, that's funny. May be that's some other lyrics.
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm GMT
It's from the movie 'My best friends wedding'. That's good movie though. And the song. I couldn't hear it, but now it feels my heart with good memories for a good movie. Thank you for that song.
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:18 pm GMT
And before I go, just if you listen the song it finished with answer my prayer you love me too.It's obvious. That song will live forever.
Uriel   Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 pm GMT
<<When I listen to Aretha Franklin's "I Say a Little Prayer" there's something which I don't understand
I know that there's a difference between "pray for" and "pray to"
So why is she saying "pray for you" and then saying "answer my prayer" ?
If she's talking to the same person shouldn't she have used "pray to" instead of "pray for" ? >>

You only pray to gods. Not to people.

You can, however, pray for people. The usual meaning is that you are praying to god on the person's behalf, but the sly twist to these lyrics is that she is praying not on someone's behalf, but for god to give him to her -- the same way you would pray for rain or pray for a miracle. So the singer is being clever here. (And maybe Aretha did sing this song at some point, but I only know the Dionne Warwick version, myself.)

To complicate things further, any fervent wish can also be called a "prayer", whether it's of a religious nature or not, so "answer my prayer" might come from that more secular usage -- she may be beseeching god for this person's affections, or she may be beseeching the person directly -- you could read it either way.
Gwen   Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
There's a coda to those lyrics which Dionne Warwick sings as:

My darling, believe me
For me there is no one but you
Please love me too
I'm in love with you
Answer my prayer
Say you love me too
Why don't you answer my prayer, yeah
You know every day I say a little prayer
I say, I say, I say a little prayer

However, Aretha Franklin's improvised coda goes like this:

My darling, believe me
For me there is no one but you
Please love me too
This is my prayer
Answer my prayer now, baby
This is my prayer
Answer it right now, baby
Say you love me too
This is my prayer, babe

In both instances, there is an obvious shift in direction from the rest of the lyrics (although Aretha's version and the way she sings it sounds more desperate). Throughout the song, you're led to believe that the speaker/singer prays to God every moment she can to protect the man she loves, so that they will be together forever. Not until you get to the coda do you realize that she's actually praying/begging/beseeching for this man to love her. Whether she's calling upon God's intercession or imploring the man directly is open to interpretation.
Laura Braun   Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:47 am GMT
Uriel would you mind if I correct you, you should write God with capital letter. God is God , only comrades from communist party write God with small letter. They even made grammar rules in grammar. They write Communist party with capital letter and God with small letter. That was how it was.
Why   Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:00 am GMT
<<Uriel would you mind if I correct you, you should write God with capital letter. >>

Why should she? You'll notice that earlier she wrote "You only pray to gods..." She doesn't specify which god.
Laura Braun   Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 am GMT
Because it's obvious... that's out of question.
Laura Braun   Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:58 am GMT
You can grasp a little from here : http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/trinity.html
Why   Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:09 am GMT
god, I despise people who automatically assume people subscribe to their beliefs.