Transient vs Transit

General   Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
I'm not clear on the difference
Marty   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 am GMT
Good question and one that deserves a reply.
Dom   Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 am GMT
To put it as plainly as possible: a transient thing is something which doesn't last or stay long and transit is moving from one place to another. transient is [usually] an adjective and transit is a noun.
choose   Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:28 am GMT
Speaking of transit, what's another way of saying "I'm in transit" while travelling? I don't believe this sentence is used much, at least not in the US.
Uriel   Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 am GMT
"I'm on my way" would work. "I'm on the road", if driving. But I don't think "I'm in transit" sounds that out of place to an American -- we can use it.
choose   Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:44 am GMT
>>"I'm on my way" would work.<<

I was fishing for something more specific. I believe it does involve the word "layover." I just can't seem to put in a commonly used full sentence.
"I am in a layover in Paris?"
("I have a layover in Paris" would be grammatically correct, but it doesn't entail that you're there at the moment)
Anyway, not a big deal.
Tran   Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
Transients often take transit.
(Is that a correct sentence?)
Uriel   Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:47 am GMT
You tend to "be in transit", not "take" transit. If you are a planet, you can "make a" transit in front of another heavenly body (no snickering).

As for layovers, if you were on the phone, bored, while cooling your heels at the Charles de Gaulle airport, you could say, "I'm on a layover in Paris right now."
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:01 am GMT
A piece of graffito scrawled on a London tube train: "Gloria Mundi is sic of the transit". Who can blame her.

Transit speaks for itself. Transient implies short duration. Certain areas of this city (as in most large towns and cities) contain a fairly large transient population - blocks of flats or tenements where people rent their accommodation for short periods only -people like students, for example, or people here for a wide variety of reasons on a temporary basis.