I can see me

H   Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
Hi,

I guess some people wince seeing a question on lyrics. I must confess I can’t help it, though I’ve asked a few myself. Here’s one more, to those who know the way fortune-tellers speak.

Give me the ring on your finger
Let me see the lines on your hand
I can see me a tall dark stranger
Giving you what you hadn’t planned

It's the "me" in the third line that puzzles me.

I can see me = I can see myself (as a tall dark stranger)?
I don't think so - a fortune-teller would hardly be so straightforward as to mention herself.

Or “I can see me …” is just “I can see here in my cards/ crystal ball etc”?

I made a search on it, but found nothing concerning fortune-telling.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
User   Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:30 pm GMT
In the South, sometimes people use "me" for emphasis. Maybe that's how it's being used.
User7   Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 pm GMT
It might be being used in a dative like fashion. I can see to a tall dark stranger, which would mean I can see a tall dark stranger.
User7   Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:57 pm GMT
Correction:

"I can see to me a tall dark stranger".
H   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:05 pm GMT
Yeah, User7, dative - that's what it seems to me.
riodarro   Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:52 am GMT
Hi!

I'm not at all familiar with the genre, but I don't believe this to be "fortune teller" speak. I'd have to agree with "User." In the South of the USA and certainly in African American dialects "me" is sometimes used emphatically
as in, "I'm so hungry I could eat me an Ozark crocodile dipped in poo sauce!" (An object pronoun used reflexively??)

I believe Spanish at times uses a similiar construction, but being that the object and reflexive pronouns are the same, it doesn't quite seem so odd. (¡Vaya hambre que tengo, me podría comer una vaca!)
This, however a good sample of ambiguity in language and allowing interpretation.
MY interpretation is this:
Give me the ring on your finger [payment for the reading]
Let me see the lines on your hand [way of predicting]
I can see me [myself as] a tall dark stranger [the palm reader himself!]
Giving you what you hadn’t planned [an unforeseen future]
There is also a question of iambic pentameter.(Omiting the "me" in line three would have maintained an 8-8-8-8 syllabic structure, ¿no?

But what the hell do I know? A great question-What's wrong with postings about lyrics and poetry? Keep 'em comin!
Suerte, RD
H   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:13 pm GMT
Thank you for paraphrasing, riodarro - Vd. es muy amable.
"Me" as a sort of meaningless filler might be acceptable, as "myself" is out of the question (see my initial post).
Sara Freder would certainly be the one to answer, she just happens to be advertising on this very page (Free Fortune Telling by Sara Freder), but I'm wary of such sites.