Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
This has reached page ten!How? It went off track several pages back.
Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
"This has reached page ten!HOW? It went off track several pages back."
Simple, people kept on posting and eventually the pages were filled. Amazing, I know. Was this too much to take in at one time.
Are you Serious?!?   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:57 am GMT
Quote:
How were the British to blame for the potato blight which was caused by diseased potatoes?

So here's the version of history I've read ...
It's not that the British caused the potatoes to die or were responsible for the disease - they're responsible for starving all the people who were eating them. At the time the British held Ireland and the people were producing a lot of crops which were all being sent back to England while the Irish were left the "less-desirable". Their main staple at the time was potatoes because I guess they weren't worth sending back to Britain. When that crop failed, the exports continued despite the lack of domestic food supplies.
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:29 am GMT
<How were the British to blame for the potato blight which was caused by diseased potatoes?>

Well in simple terms without causing confusion. It was simply Ireland's economy was simply potato exports to England and Scotland. When this disease affected it's main source of revenue this inturn reduced exports thus losing jobs = no money = no food or medicals = starvation = death. The blame laid with the British because the Irish believed the British Government had a obligation to it's people.
Saoirse   Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
"<How were the British to blame for the potato blight which was caused by diseased potatoes?>

Well in simple terms without causing confusion. It was simply Ireland's economy was simply potato exports to England and Scotland. When this disease affected it's main source of revenue this inturn reduced exports thus losing jobs = no money = no food or medicals = starvation = death. The blame laid with the British because the Irish believed the British Government had a obligation to it's people"
What a load of shite. Get another history book. Irelands economy was not potatoe exports. Her economy was held back to benefit Britain. I'll write some more soon, don't have the time now. "I'll be back".
Guest   Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
Are you back yet?
Saoirse go brach(T.A.L.)   Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 am GMT
To Sinn Fein, fight the good fight bhoyos and **** the GFA and ceasefire thoin... 800 blianta we can't stop now were so close to bua
Eirininn abu Sinn Fein abu tiocfiadh ar la... you wana know why we hate the english so much just look at people like adams your a disgusting human being... you might as well be a nazi the way your people commit mass genocide... i think Malcolm X said it best when he said,

"Our objective is complete freedom, justice and equality by any means necessary."

i'll leave you with that
mo gol ata tu mo brathars na gael tu chara na california Breandain O'Suilabhain
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:56 pm GMT
"To Sinn Fein, fight the good fight bhoyos and **** the GFA and ceasefire thoin... 800 blianta we can't stop now were so close to bua
Eirininn abu Sinn Fein abu tiocfiadh ar la... you wana know why we hate the english so much just look at people like adams your a disgusting human being... you might as well be a nazi the way your people commit mass genocide... i think Malcolm X said it best when he said,

"Our objective is complete freedom, justice and equality by any means necessary."

i'll leave you with that
mo gol ata tu mo brathars na gael tu chara na california Breandain O'Suilabhain"
My friend,
The fight is far from over. It has now manifested itself into a political struggle rather than a military one. It is true to say that Sinn Fein has betrayed the Republican tradition and should no longer bear the title Sinn Fein. I have lived through alot of the troubles and I know people who have died (mostly non-combatants) and this has led me and many others to the realisation that violence would not succeed. Call me a traitor if you want but even dedicated men from Oglaigh na hEireann have decided that the military side of the struggle could never achieve freedom for the six counties. It was a catch 22 position, the RA couldn't win nor be defeated.
Hopefully, there will be some solution to the problems in Ireland but they won't appear for a long time, if ever. Republicans are dedicated to the to the ideal of a United Ireland free from British interverence and it may again turn to violence but I sure as hell hope not.
At what price?
Slan.
SAOIRSE   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
That was me above. I am not and have never been a member of the IRA and I don't condone any sort of violence. I can sometimes understand it but have never been involved in it.
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:03 pm GMT
Who accused you?
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:02 pm GMT
slightly off topic.
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
"you wana know why we hate the english"
Breandain, I don't know if you have been to Ireland but the general attitude isn't hatred, the struggle was never meant to be sectarian. It was about freedom and unity and it achieved something half way between and violence won't get anything else so inciting it would be detrimental to the cause. It may be true to say that many Irish do not trust the English especially the further north you go on the island but it is not HATE that is felt. People have surely suffered at the hands of the Brits from my generation and from my grandparent’s generation and it goes back further beyond living memory. Just wait and see and hope that peace will flourish.
Sabre   Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:40 pm GMT
What have the British ever done to the Irish?
Guest   Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:55 pm GMT
"What have the British ever done to the Irish?"
I hope you're joking.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 am GMT
>>What have the British ever done to the Irish?<<

Surely in denial. Probably a product of state brain washing.