I was wondering what I should use instead of I was wondering

choose   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:41 pm GMT
I was wondering if somebody could enlighten me as to the business-like substitute of the quite frequently used opening phrase "I was wondering."
For example, when I write a question to my boss, what should I, professionally speaking, start it out with, instead of "I was wondering?"
Just wondering.
NoUser   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 pm GMT
Use *I was wanking*

Always a classic, hands down
Ryan   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:33 pm GMT
I'm not sure what is not business-like about "I was wondering..."
choose   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 pm GMT
>>Use *I was wanking*

Stooping to your level, I'd like to know how you'd complete that sentence.

>>I'm not sure what is not business-like about "I was wondering..."

Neither am I, but I don't believe/recall I've ever gotten an email from a professor or professional beginning with that phrase. It rather strikes me as highskoolish for some odd reason.
NoUser   Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
The sentence is complete, dude. Just don't forget to wash your hands afterwards.
Loris   Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm GMT
Check this out Choose (go for sense 2) :

http://www.synonym.com/synonyms/wondering/
choose   Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
>>The sentence is complete, dude. Just don't forget to wash your hands afterwards.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of your out-of-the-blue, insightful addition to this thread; humorous or gross. Perhaps an amalgam of both.
And you're right. The sentence is indeed complete. I was actually referring to the email I am hypothetically writing to my boss.
"Dear boss,
I was wanking ****************** I could not show up to work for the next few decades.
Regards,
Wanker."

How would you fill in the blank?

Loris,
Thanks.
Another Guest   Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm GMT
I think that what you intuitively know, but can't quite articulate, is that company emails are not the proper forum for sharing your philosophical musings. If you need information, ask for the information. If you want to know what time a meeting is, instead of saying "I was wondering what time the meeting is", say "What time is the meeting?" If that's too direct, you can say "I'm not clear on what time the meeting is supposed to be. Can you clear that up for me?"
Achab   Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
Um...

"I was wanking (at the thought) that by winning the lottery I could not show up to work for the next few decades."

What about it?

Quizzically,

Achab
Ken   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:09 am GMT
Travis to the rescue
choose   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 am GMT
>>I think that what you intuitively know, but can't quite articulate, is that company emails are not the proper forum for sharing your philosophical musings.

Actually, no.

>>If you want to know what time a meeting is, instead of saying "I was wondering what time the meeting is", say "What time is the meeting?"

That's more like it and it matches my initial assessments but I needed some reassurance.
Caspian   Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 pm GMT
<< I could not show up to work for the next few decades. >>

The tenses seem mixed up. I could - this is in the past, whereas next few decades - is in the future. Unless it's the conditional tense - but here it would be better to say 'I would not be able to ...'
Blanc de Blanc   Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 am GMT
Dear boss,
I was wanking and I was wondering whether you might join me?
Yours sincerely,
Wanking wanker
choose   Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:17 am GMT
Hey Caspian,
Thanks. I still don't see how this structure will make sense:
"'I was wondering if I would not be able to show up to work for the next few decades.'
I think it's best to say: "I was wondering if I could miss work for the next few decades."