another standard to come ?

gigi   Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
actually i've got a question about some estuary-way-of-speaking features which are, i've been told, becoming increasingly widespread (not only in London). so, the first about the grammar - can you talk about the generalisation of the third person singular form

i buys some food

and, the second - the generalization of past tense of 'to be' - was - smh like

we was celebrating that ocсasion.

are these forms, these developments, now increasingly to be heard in the public domain in your area and, do you speak so, too ?
The Resistance   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25 pm GMT
That's how Maoris talk! And wiggers, people who want to sound uneducated for the sake of sounding uneducated!
Another Guest   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:32 pm GMT
In America, "we was" is associated with "Ebonics". In some circles, it's considered acceptable, and even intolerant to not accept it, but as far as I'm concerned, it's outrageously bad grammar, and no one who wants to be taken seriously should use it. A similar phrase is "he don't".
Johnny   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:57 pm GMT
I once heard that using "is" instead of "are" is common in London or at least around there among young speakers. Of course I might be wrong... I just read a comment on that once, no one knows how accurate it was. If I am not mistaken, I remember reading they say "How is you?" instead of "How are you?". Well, Ali G talks that way, but he's... a comedian, LOL.
Another Guest   Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm GMT
Or, at least, he's a person who is alleged to be funny.