Merry Christmas to all Romance speakers.

Guest   Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm GMT
Galego is a dialect of Portugese, as Catalan is a dialect of Occitan, both have Spanish influence. Romansh is a variety of Lombard.
eastlander   Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:38 pm GMT
Maybe Galego,Portuguese,Castellano,Asturianu-Leonese, Andaluz,Aragonese etc.are dialects of Ibero-Romance language and Catalan,Occitan,Prouvençal are dialects of Occitano-Romance language?
Caspian   Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:39 pm GMT
Maybe it should be possible for somebody to say Merry Christmas without this escalating into a fight about languages and dialects AGAIN!
hepatitis   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
It's difficult to tell if Catalan is Gallo-Romance or Ibero-Romance. It was born as a branch of Occitan, but nowadays it has a lot of Spanish influence. Let's call it a Gallo-Iberian hybrid.
FU   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
Let's not.
Jose Feliciano   Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm GMT
Feliz Navidad. Feliz Navidad. Feliz Navidad, prospero ano y felicidad. AHA! .............AHA!......AHA!..........AHA!...that's my favorite part of the song.
Coupo Santo   Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:35 am GMT
occitan is a language! don't mess with my heritage!! and what kind of dialect would that be in your opinion!! french? occitan is much older than french and has a broader vocabulary!
guest   Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:55 am GMT
PORTUGUESE: Boas Festas e Feliz Ano Novo!
OCCITAN: Polit Nadal e bona annada!
ASTURIAN: Bones Navidaes y Gayoleru añu nuevu!
FRIULIAN: Bon Nadâl e Biel An Gnûv!
GALICIAN: Bo Nadal e próspero aninovo!
SARDINIAN: Bonu nadale e prosperu annu nou!
JERRIAIS: Bouan Noué et Bouanne Année!
SICILIAN: Bon Natali e filici annu novu!
RHETIAN: Bellas festas da nadal e bun onn!
ROMANSH: Legreivlas fiastas da Nadal e bien niev onn!

PORTUGUESE: Bom Natal/Boas Festas
K. T.   Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:40 pm GMT
"Maybe it should be possible for somebody to say Merry Christmas without this escalating into a fight about languages and dialects AGAIN!"

That's what I thought last year, but we are too reasonable and in the minority.

Btw, Stu Jay Raj stopped by, so check out his post if you have time.
Invité d'honneur   Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:59 pm GMT
<<You're supposed to say "happy holidays" so that no one takes offence. >>

Sarcasm aside, there ARE some people who do not celebrate christmas, and in their case it wouldn't make any sense if I told them «happy christmas», would it? And guess what, these people make up half of my work mates. «Happy holidays» isn't just a PC prescription, in some cases it's the only relevant thing to say.
K. T.   Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:09 pm GMT
How about just saying, "See you when we get back after the break!"
Hmmmm   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:48 pm GMT
"ROMANSH: Legreivlas fiastas da Nadal e bien niev onn!"
I understood everything except the word "Legreivlas". It doesn't sound Latin at all. What is the meaning and derivation of this word?
Caspian   Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
<< "Maybe it should be possible for somebody to say Merry Christmas without this escalating into a fight about languages and dialects AGAIN!"

That's what I thought last year, but we are too reasonable and in the minority.

Btw, Stu Jay Raj stopped by, so check out his post if you have time. >>

Lol, I see what you mean. Wow, never thought he'd come here! I mean, this is a pretty major languages forum (and high up on Google), so I'd have thought that if he were going to make an appearance, he'd have done it ages ago! Thanks.