Why do we need to learn English?

Ned   Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03 pm GMT
One of my all-time favourite scenes from the animated television series "The Simpsons" is the following:

Homer and Marge have a flashback. They are in high school. The bell rings (or something). Marge tells Homer something like "Hurry up, we have to get to English class". Homer replies: "Why do we need to learn English? When are we ever going to go to England?" ("The Simpsons" takes place in the United States).

Now don't tell me that's not funny.
JJM   Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
Okie-dokley, Ned.
Ned   Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:12 pm GMT
Actually my name is not really Ned. I just made it up. I was actually thinking of a Ned on a daytime soap opera (unrelated to the Simpsons and of a very different personality than Ned Flanders) whom I've been told I vaguely resemble when I typed that name in. I mean, I can understand if I had used a very uncommon name like Whelan (as in Whelan Smithers).

Also, I think Flanders actually says: "Okely-dokely". But let's not digress even further...
eito(jpn)   Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:39 am GMT
>>"Why do we need to learn English? When are we ever going to go to England?" ("The Simpsons" takes place in the United States).<<

The name of that language must have been confusing to Homer.
Guest   Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:15 am GMT
When was english invented? And who invented it?
England wasn't England when they invented the language, I know the language came before the country did, so was this language the same as it is spoken today? They didn't talk like in those Shakespeare plays.
Did they say i love you like we say it today?
Guest   Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:54 am GMT
"Did they say i love you like we say it today?"

I think they would say "Ich liebe your dich".