how much do you use the word Anglo-Saxon?

Guest   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:28 am GMT
lol The words 'Anglo Saxon' I ever heard or said the word would be in a in between 4 walls and called a history classroom.
Uriel   Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:35 am GMT
No, Adam, most Americans are NOT of British descent. According to the last census, the single largest reported ethnicity was German.
andre in usa   Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:10 am GMT
I only use it in the phrase "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant," or WASP. Though a declining number Americans fall into this category anymore.
Travis   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 am GMT
>>I only use it in the phrase "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant," or WASP. Though a declining number Americans fall into this category anymore.<<

Likewise, that seems to be the most common place where "Anglo" is actually used here at all, and one of the few places, as besides this, there are few places where "Anglo" is really actually used here these days.
Antonio   Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 pm GMT
for staters, I would like to know how this "angle" denomination first began... examining the background history, it should have been overwritten by norse-saxon or sth else
Antonio   Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:46 pm GMT
to me, it seems no more than a misconception of some biased britons or such. don´t quite know for certain though...
England borrowed her name from Angle Land, that´s ok to me; needs no proof either. the whole misconception has come to existance due to the fact that people call a group of individuals "angles" (of heritage) whist, as some older and more accurate books used to said: mediterranean stock.
Have I made myself clear...? hope I did.
Adam   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:23 pm GMT
"No, Adam, most Americans are NOT of British descent. According to the last census, the single largest reported ethnicity was German. "

You're wrong. British Americans make up America's largest ethnic group -

Number of British Americans

In the 2000 Census, 57.6 million Americans reported British ancestry. These include:

24.5 million English
20.6 million American (the overwhelming majority of those who answered "American" as their ancestry are of British ancestry)
4.9 million Scottish
4.3 million Scotch-Irish (Ulster)
1.7 million Welsh
1 million British (answered "British" as ancestry on the Census)
600,000 Canadian (the overwhelming majority of those who answered "Canadian" as their ancestry are of British ancestry)

These figures make British Americans the largest ethnic group in the U.S. when counted collectively (although the Census Bureau does not count them collectively, as each of the above is a separate ethnic group i.e. English or Scottish). The Germans and Irish are the largest self-reported ethnic groups in the nation but British ancestry IS CONSIDERED THE MOST COMMON BY EXPERTS.

http://www.answers.com/topic/british-american
Adam   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:26 pm GMT
"England borrowed her name from Angle Land"

No, she didn't. England IS Angle Land.

The Anglo-Saxons called Angle Land after the Angles, even though there were more Saxons a Jute invaders than Angle invaders.
Antonio   Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:15 pm GMT
Adam, exactly ;-)
that was my point, though skimmingly explained.
but today I disagree with the term "invader".,,,, they were just fugitives from their land.
Travis   Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:28 pm GMT
And Adam, you oh so conveniently didn't provide any of the other datapoints, so we have nothing to compare, from the same set of data, the datapoints that you provided to at all.
Tiffany   Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:01 pm GMT
<< 20.6 million American (the overwhelming majority of those who answered "American" as their ancestry are of British ancestry) >>

<< 600,000 Canadian (the overwhelming majority of those who answered "Canadian" as their ancestry are of British ancestry) >>

Please tell me how you know that people of "American" and "Canadian" heritage are actually of British ancestry.
Sander   Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:13 pm GMT
=>they were just fugitives from their land<=

LOL yeah right.What was after them? Dinosaur police?
Lazar   Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:58 pm GMT
<<You're wrong. British Americans make up America's largest ethnic group ->>

That may indeed be so. But what you originally said was:

<<(and most Americans are of British descent)>>

For *most* (50%+) Americans to be of British descent, they would have to add up not to 50-something million but rather to almost 150 million.
andre in usa   Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:53 pm GMT
From Wikipedia:

"German Americans are the largest self-reported ethnic group in the United States today.

According to the 2000 U.S. census, 47 million Americans are of German ancestry. German-Americans represent 16% of the total U.S. population and 24% of the non-Hispanic white population.

Of the four major U.S. regions, German was the most-reported ancestry in the Midwest, second in the West, and third in the Northeast and South regions. German was the top reported ancestry in 23 states, and it was one of the top five reported ancestries in every state except Maine and Rhode Island."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American
Antonio   Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:15 pm GMT
yeah sander, just like your brain capabilities