Happy holidays

Lazar   Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
I say "happy holidays" never "merry Christmas". From Gaysachusetts.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:55 pm GMT
Greetings to all on this Christmas Eve....best wishes for a very Happy Christmas, and a very blessed one to all who hold the spirit of Christmas dear and meaningful.

In five minutes time the BBC TV and Radio Services will broadcast live to all of us here in the UK, and via the BBC World Service live to all other countries throughout the world, the annual Christmas Eve Festival Service of Nine Lessons and Carols direct from the Chapel of King's College, in Cambridge, England.

Here is a YT lip of the same service from four years ago:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1RC34N1TfCQ
Lazar   Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
Needless to say, that post wasn't written by me. (It feels like the flippin' old days again!) And anything after this post won't be written by me ever.
Lazar   Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
Except this one. Hope y'all have a gay time.
Skippy   Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:50 pm GMT
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays... That's what I'll say... :-)
Pub Lunch   Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:18 am GMT
Happy Holidays my arse! Happy Christmas lads - I wish each and everyone one of you a truly memorable Christmas and an absolutely brilliant New Year!

Adieu!
Pub Lunch   Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Sorry for the typos - I'm a tad pissed!

And for what it's worth - why in God's name do the yanks use Happy Holidays?? They surely haven't taken the PC route yet... have they?? If the yanks go PC then I ain't got much left to believe in. Now, where are them aussies????

Ho Ho Hooooooooo!!!
HappyHippo's   Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 am GMT
In Canada, they use Happy Holidays
Holiday, celebrate ;)
Walle   Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Guest   Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
Mewwy Cwismas.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:04 am GMT
Another British journalistic view on all this American "Happy Holidays" PC thingy which truly grates on most British ears to be absolutely, positively candid with you, this time from the British hack Toby Harnden, of the London "Daily Telegraph" newspoaper, along with a few other Americanisms which many Brits claim to be able to see through as being nothing more than trite and insincere:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/blog/2008/12/23/top_10_most_annoying_americanisms

It's now St Stephen's Day, or Boxing Day as it's more widely known as in the UK - another official Bank Holiday tacked onto Christmas Day.

It's called Boxing Day as that was traditionally the day following Christmas Day when people gave gifts to tradespeople, delivery and messenger boys and anyone else offering services during the year, all contained in little boxes, hence the name.

It's also the day when many hundreds of Fox Hunts take place right across the UK - foxhunting in other words, where Meets officially take place with all the riders on horseback, all resplendent in scarlet tunics and black hats, accompanied by their huge packs of hounds all baying like crazy, all meet up outside a pub, are then served their stirrup cup (an alcoholic drink of whatever kind, and in whatever form, sometimes warmed up or a wee dram with hot water as a toddy) and all awaiting the sounding of the horn before they all start to canter down the main street of the town or village, horn still blaring out, and out into the country after their now non existent prey as the Hunt heads off across the meadows, ostensibly in pursuit of the foxes, except that foxhunting is now illegal in the UK, so now it's all a pretence, officially at any rate. They can supposedly chase but they cannot catch, but as they say in any kind of show business "The Show Must Go On" - which it does, with the packs of hounds baying and barking as they leg it across the fields followed by all the galloping horsemen and women.......in the words of Oscar Wilde - "the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable".....the very reason Foxhunting was banned in Britain a few years back.

Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the Feast of Stephen
When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Thougn the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gathering winter fuel....

Wenceslas......always reminds me of being in Wenceslas Square, in the middle of the beauty of the gorgeous city of Prague, one of the many gems of Europe.....unfortunately for the good citizens of Prague (or Praha as they call it) it is a Mecca for carousing Brits on weekend breaks or stag and hen night parties...... :-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:08 am GMT
Correction: Tony Harnden himself is, of course, an American, and not a Brit. I offer him my sincere apologies. Neverthess, it's quite funny to read an ariticle from an American going on about "irritating" Americanisms! ;-)
Santa   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:00 pm GMT
A simple Merry Christmas would have done just fine Damian :) That said, looking forward to any possible response from you come a New_Year_post _thingy
Cthulhu worshipper   Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:16 pm GMT
Merry Cthulhu-mas!
Moionfire   Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
Happy holidays includes Christmas and the New Year....The two holidays sort of meld together.

In additon, fall/winter is considered the holiday season because even prior to Christmas and New years, americans celebrate Thanksgiving which is actually a busier travel day than Christmas!! Then there is also Halloween...