british or american english?

anne   Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:59 pm GMT
kirk whats ur major? language?
Pete   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:00 pm GMT
>>Where was Spanish first spoken? Where was Portuguese first spoken? Hmmm... a third of the world's Spanish speakers live in Mexico, and half of the world's Portuguese speakers live in Brazil... now, I wonder.<<

Excellent, that's my conclussion.

>>im one of those filipinos who speak english with american accent actually.. maybe its because we watch hollywood movies not british movies, lol!! <<

Exactly, The worls is Americanising, even England. English (in the American way) is the dominant language of the United States, the biggest super-power, We have to admit.
Pete   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:02 pm GMT
mistakes

overthere = over there

determined variety = particular variety
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:04 pm GMT
<<Americans call a 'snow job' the British call a 'soft soap sell.'>>

Really, Kirk? The British version sounds almost like a good thing.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:19 pm GMT
<<The variety of English I learnt, Received Pronunciaton English, was easier to me than American English. In fact, I was studying American for 1 year, then switched to "British" English. >>

It seems it's matter of preference, sort of like Western saddle vs. English saddle.
anne   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:21 pm GMT
pete >>The worls is Americanising, even England. English (in the American way) is the dominant language of the United States, the biggest super-power, We have to admit<<

i agree. but isnt it unfair to the brits?
anne   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:42 pm GMT
anne: who spoke english originally? or who spoke it first.. am or brit?

guest: Is that a serious question?? Do you honestly not know? The clue is in the name. English....from England??? >

this is really insulting. now i got to know what i have to know. i conclude that america is ruling over the world. political, entertainment,.... etc etc.
Tetsuo   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:38 pm GMT
Folks, I'm confused.

I know there are differences in spellings, pronounciations, and expressions between British Englisn and American English. But Is there any difference between British English grammar and American English grammar?
Damian in Scotland   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:39 pm GMT
**There is a lot more tradition and education involved in becoming an Englishman**

I took the easy option and decided to be born a Scotsman rather than having to endure all that effort to become an Englishman. LOL Even so I think that Scottish education compares very favourably with the English system. Having said that I went to uni in England so I'd better shut it. :-)
Damian   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 pm GMT
With a population not far short of 300 million then of course the United States has the largest number of native English speakers of all the English speaking countries and with American global influence being what it is (even in other English speaking countries, including the UK to some exten) it's natural that American English would be the more dominant in the World.

As I've said before, English learners are free to choose whichever version they prefer.
Damian   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:48 pm GMT
extenT AAAARRRGGGGH! I just be going Estuary....
Damian   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:50 pm GMT
just = must ! Thank goodness I'm off home in an hour..been a rough day.......
Travis   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:56 pm GMT
>>Folks, I'm confused.

I know there are differences in spellings, pronounciations, and expressions between British Englisn and American English. But Is there any difference between British English grammar and American English grammar?<<

In formal writing, there is not that much of a difference between the two, besides some minor things like how number is handled with nouns referring to groups of entities and like, such as "Manchester United have won the game" versus "Machester United has won the game", for example. However, actual everyday speech is a wholly different matter, and encompasses differences in things ranging from the use (or lack thereof) of the subjunctive (one of my favorite things to point out about English English) to cliticization and grammaticalization.
mary anne   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:11 pm GMT
"Manchester United have won the game" versus "Machester United has won the game"-------------- isnt it the second one is correct? dont tell me its diffrent between the american and british
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 pm GMT
<<There is a lot more tradition and education involved in becoming an Englishman>>

How about when you're an EnglishWOMAN? Same thing? I'm not sure I ever 'became' an Englishwoman, anyway. I just happened to be born one.

<<i agree. but isnt it unfair to the brits?>>

Unfair, how? The US is the world's dominant power. That's just the way it is.

<<this is really insulting. now i got to know what i have to know. i conclude that america is ruling over the world. political, entertainment,.... etc etc. >>

I didn't mean to insult you, but it was a very stupid question.

<<"Manchester United have won the game" versus "Machester United has won the game"-------------- isnt it the second one is correct? dont tell me its diffrent between the american and british >>

It IS a difference between US and British usage. To me, the first one is the correct one. To Americans (or most of them), it's the second one.