How Many?

Caspian   Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:18 pm GMT
<< Italian: Started two month ago. Sometimes confused because of similarity with Italian. >>

Oh, they're so similiar!
In Reply   Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 pm GMT
I enjoyed reading these posts. I'm not going to confess my number, though.
Invité d'honneur   Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 am GMT
Caspian: "<< Italian: Started two month ago. Sometimes confused because of similarity with Italian. >>

Oh, they're so similiar!"

Lol, well they are, aren't they? :-p Make that "because of similarity with Spanish".
Jay   Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:39 pm GMT
<< Italian: Started two month ago. Sometimes confused because of similarity with Italian. >>

I actually think Italian has more similarities with French than Spanish, at least appearance-wise. Italian may have some similar sounds with Spanish but overall, I think French is a closer cousin to Italian.
Invité d'honneur   Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:44 pm GMT
"I actually think Italian has more similarities with French than Spanish, at least appearance-wise. Italian may have some similar sounds with Spanish but overall, I think French is a closer cousin to Italian."

And you're right. But my brain seems to mix them up because of their similarity in sound. That's how I end up saying "y" instead of "e" "non tene molto tempo" instead of "non ha molto tempo", and other similar mistakes.
Invité d'honneur   Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:48 pm GMT
«I enjoyed reading these posts. I'm not going to confess my number, though.»

In Reply, are you K.T?
olasz   Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:55 pm GMT
En espagnol, c'est NO TIENE MUCHO TIEMPO
En italien, c'est NON HA MOLTO TEMPO
Invité d'honneur   Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:10 pm GMT
Hé, t'inquiète Olasz, je sais. Mais quand je me trompe je dis "tene" à la place de "ha". Ça doit s'appeler de l'Espalien ou de l'Itagnol. ;-)
Guest   Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
I have studied only English. I never felt the need to study another one.
blanc   Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
"I have studied only English. I never felt the need to study another one."

Too bad for you. You don't know what you're missing!!
To PARISIEN   Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:07 am GMT
Some of the "In Reply" messages on Antimoon are mine, not all. My "initials" were borrowed, but hey! I should have chosen a more original name.
About this thread   Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:38 am GMT
Since I started the thread and enjoyed reading about the languages other people study, I suppose I should tell why I asked the question. I'm just curious, frankly. I've noticed that many "linguists" study languages, but I don't have any idea how MANY they study.

I study a lot of languages, but I'm not a linguist. We all study or know languages, but I wonder WHY each poster knows particular languages. I'm not sure that I agree with that statemnet about living many lives by speaking many languages, but speaking languages definitely opens up the world (and more than just the English speaking one, Tom, if you read these posts).

I've studied languages because I always want to know what people are saying around me. It still bothers me if I go into a store or restaurant and I'm unable to identify a language I hear.
Sarmackie   Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:39 pm GMT
The first language I studied was English, but then it's also my native tongue. Oh, how I wish I could say that something else was.

I started studying Spanish when I was five or six, as it was compulsory up until high school. I took a year then, but not until college did I really take it seriously and now I speak it very well (beautifully, I've been told) thanks to all of the dormant information that had been building up. It was really less like learning it in high school and college than it was being reminded of it, even once we started dealing with compound tenses and subjunctive mood and all that.

I identify myself ethnically as a Pole, and I picked some Polish up from my father because his maternal grandparents were from Poland. He only really knew dzien dobry, jak sie ma, je cie kocham, tak, and dzienkuje. I have a Polish friend and she's helped me a lot with my pronunciation and some more practical points on the grammar. I still don't recognize a lot of the vocabulary, though.

Last year, I spent a few months trying to teach myself Georgian. I didn't get very far, but given the way the verbs work in that language, no one should be surprised. I've gone back and looked at the materials I had for it and if I sat down and did it now I could probably learn a lot more than I had, considering how much I've learned about grammar.

About a month ago I started teaching myself Modern Greek. My knowledge there is still very basic, but I feel confident in how well I'm progressing with it.

I've picked up very small amounts of Turkish, French, Italian, Russian, German, Norwegian, Romanian and Japanese, but I would probably only be able to put together two or three sentences in each.

But why do I study languages? Really, it's a hobby. It's what I do for fun. I just get a kick out of figuring out how they work and how to put them together, the same way that other people enjoy jigsaw puzzles, crosswords and sudoku. Hopefully that makes sense.
szep   Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
Last year, I spent a few months trying to teach myself Georgian.

This is very interesting. How about the Georgian alphabet?? Is it so complicated? What kind of materials did you use? thanks
Sarmackie   Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
All I had my hands on was Aronson's 'Georgian: A Learner's Grammar'. It was better than nothing, but he didn't describe the sounds correctly so I had to go and teach myself rudimentary phonetics. The copy I was using was an older edition so some things needed correcting and the formatting was weird. At the time, I didn't know much about grammar so even when he was discussing verb transitivity, I felt like I was in way over my head. The alphabet isn't really very complicated. It's a true alphabet, so each character makes one sound and one sound only, ever, all the time, no matter what. There are about 40 characters, but I saw that several of them were never used in Aronson's grammar. One thing that is confusing about it is that we're used to seeing characters that look like each other 'sound' like each other, like 'b' and 'd'. In Georgian, a lot of the characters that look like each other don't sound alike at all, and the ones that do sound like each other look very different. To this day, I remember most of the alphabet, but some of the less frequently used letters (and the ugly ones that I didn't like writing) escape me.

What's really tough about the whole language is the verbal system. A verb can take on a preverb (usually these indicate motion but they can also turn it into a different verb) and a postposition, and it can tell you the agent and the object (direct and indirect) which are indicated by using different cases depending on the series, which is only conjugated for certain tense-mood-aspect forms. And then things get more complicated because there are a whole lot of irregular verbs. At least, that's how I understand it, but then I don't understand it.