The Celts in Great Britain: the first genocide in History?

Arthur   Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:45 pm GMT
Did the Anglos and Saxons commit the first genocide in History against the original settlers of Great Britain? According to some scholars they did and this may explain well how a small amount of Germanic invaders imposed successfully their language and culture in a land inhabited by Celtic people. What do you think?
Gawain   Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:55 pm GMT
I believe the first genocide was probably one committed by Homo sapiens against the Neanderthals.
Coruscanter   Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:21 pm GMT
DNA studies are beginning to show that the English are mostly
Brythonic (Celtic) in origin.
The concept of alien Saxons spread across the English map is proving
to be unfounded. The Saxons came, but they managed to impose their
culture on everyone else, not their bloodlines, which probably only
affected the people in places like East Anglia. Same with the Vikings
in Yorkshire and the Danes in the Thames Valley. The Normans didn't
marry into the people, only into the ruling classes.

Given that, you can see that to talk of the English as an Anglo-Saxon
race is a nonsense. The bulk of English people are Celts.
?!   Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
What are you getting at here? The reason why some people have red hair in the British Isles? I usually think, well, I guess some Dane or Viking left a genetic marker. I hope it wasn't a forced encounter, but
it was hundreds of years ago.

It doesn't matter. We're speaking English, not Danish.
Guest   Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
All I'll say is, don't be a sheep and buy into the mainstream view of history, some of the greatest lies have been perpetuated that way.
Skippy   Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:29 am GMT
There were many others in the ancient world... There's no way of knowing what the first was, although it is likely the homo sapiens taking out the neanderthals, although if we're referring to the first human genocide (as the term implies) it would have been long before the Roman invasion of Britain.
aaa   Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:17 am GMT
The Celts primitive tribes who were busy practicing cannibalism, covering themselves in animal fat, and praying to the moon. I think the later settlers did them a favor. You should read the Roman accounts of Britannia.
Colette   Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm GMT
Yes, the Celts were retarded and backward, and their French descendants too. It's nice that the Germanic tribes anihilated them.
aD6dg22   Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
Oi Colette, I learned a new German word: 'stinklangweilig'. Remind you of something?
G7   Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
Colette Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm GMT
Yes, the Celts were retarded and backward, and their French descendants too. It's nice that the Germanic tribes anihilated them.

If Darwin´s theories are right, it has to have been that way then...
gareth   Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 am GMT
Celts are still here, celtic culture and languages have only survived to the west and north of the british isles in wales, cornwall, scotland, eire and isle of man and also in britanny due to migration from the invading anglo-saxons.
There's a Channel 4 News repot that "The English are Germans The Welsh are real Britons", its on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j617mImHVvk.
Ataecina   Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:43 am GMT
And in Spain. Unfortunately, the languages here are extinct. And not, they did not exterminate anybody, otherwise why the haplotype r1b is all around Western Europe?. Genetics speaks once again.
Guest   Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:15 pm GMT
Haplotype r1b has no relation with the Celts. The Celts were different tribes that shared some coomon cultural features, but they were not genetically of the same stock like the Germanics.
KEltic   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm GMT
amazing how french and English are similar!

Dit les anglais et saxons commient le premier génocide en histoire encontre le original setteleurs au
Grand bretagne? Accordant de somme ecoliers ils dit et dis mai expliquer bel au un petit amont
au germanique invaseur imposé succesfulement leur language et culture en un lande inhabité par celtique
peuple? Ouate de tu pense?

Is it due to the common celtic culture between both?
eastlander   Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm GMT
English people are of mixed Anglosaxon,Norse,Celtic and Norman ( French of Normandy) origin.Scottish and Irish people are of mixed Celtic and Norse origin.Maybe only Welsh people are of most pure Celtic origin.