Why does Greek sound Spanish?

KEVIN   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:49 am GMT
Why does modern Greek sound like Spanish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FGKqsa4rcM
Day   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:53 am GMT
Because you don't understand either Greek or Spanish.
probably   Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 pm GMT
well you know in a riiot it is difficult to listen what the people use to say...

tu pues du cul
Sarmackie   Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
It's all Greek to me.
Plato   Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm GMT
It's all Spanish to me.
szep   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:12 pm GMT
I think it all depends on some very common sounds such as jota, c/z and s which are pronounced the same in both languages.
Josh   Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 pm GMT
I know Spanish and I agree that Greek has phonological similarities to Spanish even though it is lexically very different from it.
Is France a Country?   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:04 am GMT
Greek is everywhere in IE languages, and it's in Spanish too. Consider "ghata"-it's Greek for Cat and "gata" for a female cat in Spanish. Greek has "th" and European Spanish has "th"-so I'm not surprised that it sounds similar. I speak Spanish and I'm learning Greek.
Once you know more about Greek, it won't sound quite as similar to Spanish, but it used to sound like Spanish to me too.
Guest   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:10 am GMT
I think the question should be: why does Spanish sound so much like Greek?

knock-offs
asdf   Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 am GMT
Interesting. I don't think that Greek sounds anything like Spanish. To me it sounds almost Slavic for some reason. When I heard someone speaking Greek for the first time I thought they were Ukrainian.
Rosemachinegun   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:13 pm GMT
Before I began learning some I thought it sounded like Italian...
szepinho   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm GMT
The Italian language has got 7 vowels a, i, u, è, é, ó, ò unlike Greek, Spanish or Japanese which only possess five vowels a e i o u.
Italian has plenty of geminate consonants unlike Greek and Spanish, except double RR in Spanish
Some typical sounds are only familiar to Spanish and Greek, such as Þ, S, X sounds. Even the intonation sounds more similar to me. Of course Spanish and Italian vocabulary is quite similar unlike the Greek one which is completely divergent.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:36 pm GMT
Japanese has 5 vowels but they are not the same than the Spanish ones.
Me   Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 am GMT
Obviously the Greek comparison only applies to European Spanish because Latin American Spanish sounds more like Italian. If you're an American or Canadian you're more exposed to the latter which sounds softer and less guttural and therefore more like Italian.
Facts   Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 pm GMT
Mexican Spanish does not sound like Italian more than European Spanish. Among the American Spanish dialects only Argentinian Spanish has the Italian intonation. As for gutturality I don't know what you are referring to . Even Argentinian Spanish has the guttural /x/ sound, whereas Mexican Spanish or Cuban Spanish don't because they pronounce "aspired" jotas.