How popular is the Chinese language in your country?

held   Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:47 pm GMT
Just shows how good our government is, I guess!
This sounds silly

Does the governement prevent the British from reading, going to the library or choosing a language to study??
Shuimo   Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:34 pm GMT
True Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 am GMT
Yes, Chinese is fast becoming popular in Hispanic America due to Chinese investments.
-----------------------------
That convincingly testifies the close linkage between economic strength and language popularity!
Caspian   Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
<< Does the governement prevent the British from reading, going to the library or choosing a language to study?? >>

Here, we have a left-wing government. This means that the government pushes the fact that not only does everybody have equal rights, which is perfectly acceptable, but that everybody is equal - which is untrue.

The government will never admit that some are more intelligent than others, so it concentrates on the lowest common denominator - to be harsh but true, the stupid people, who make up the vast majority of the society.

We're lucky to learn French and German, even if the curriculum is too dumbed-down - by this I mean that you don't even learn the cases during the GCSE course.

The Government hinders us by not teaching us Chinese in schools - and not including Chinese textbooks in the school libraries.
luar   Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
I wish I had a left-wing government! :-)
Language Lover   Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
I believe that they are starting to teach it locally, but a Chinese guy told me that the instructor at the local university (an American) didn't even know 罪. He asked me if I knew this character, and I said "yes". Lol, maybe I should start studying Mandarin seriously and become a professor!

At the school where Malia Obama studies, Chinese has been offered for many years, I understand. I wonder-will she choose Chinese or Spanish (like her father recommends); Latin and French may also be available. I don't remember off the top of my head.
Caspian   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
<< I wish I had a left-wing government! :-) >>

Haha! There's a happy medium, I think - not too right-wing, not too left-wing.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
Left wing in Britain is that happy medium, because they are not extreme leftists.
Caspian   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 pm GMT
They're not communists, but they're too left wing for my liking, the way they dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator and try to pretend that everybody is equal, when they're quite clearly not.

That's hardly a happy medium, Guest.
yoz   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm GMT
Britain is a thousand times more right wing than Spain - the giant gay bar of Europe.
Shuimo   Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 pm GMT
What is a left wing? right wing?
ocell   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
left wing

The chinese have got a "very" left wing governement but they act as a "very" right-wing one :-)
Guest   Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:58 pm GMT
<<Britain is a thousand times more right wing than Spain - the giant gay bar of Europe>>

I agree, in Spain the British Labour Party is seen as right wing and tories like Margareth Tatcher are directly comparable to Hitler according to them. So believe me, you are fortunate for having shuch politicians and not scum like Zapatero for whom the model to follow is Hugo Chavez. Spain is ideologically closer to populist countriest in South America than to the rest of Europe. But I don't think the right wing is better at educating our children, they have also dumbed down the education system so they have people who can't think by themlseves. Both right and left wing want dumb citizens who vote for them blindly .
monique   Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
I'm proud to be a gay and many thanks to Zapatero. Finally this thread will be deleted :-)
Guest   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
Being gay is just like being tall or red haired, nothing to be proud of, but for Zapatero gays are sorta of ubermensch and nobody can critizise a gay because then you are an homophobe. The same happens with immigrants. It seems that gays and inmigrants are the pinnacle of Creation for the Spanish Leftists.
canard   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm GMT
I'm proud to be tall

Are all teen nazis in this forum?