A Spanish question.

Brazilian usuario   Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 am GMT
Which one is correct?

Le ayudé a encontrar trabajo.

Lo ayudé a encontrar trabajo.
latez   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 pm GMT
ambas
Sarmackie   Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
They're both correct, but slightly different. In the first one, you're emphasizing a third person who you helped to find work and in the second one you're emphasizing the work and not technically referring to anyone else, though it may be implied.
pollon   Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:10 pm GMT
They're both correct, but slightly different. In the first one, you're emphasizing a third person who you helped to find work and in the second one you're emphasizing the work and not technically referring to anyone else, though it may be implied.

Lo lamento mucho pero esta explicacion no esta correcta, en ambos casos le y lo se refieren al que busca trabajo, solo depende del uso del pronombre: lo acusativo, el dativo, pero no cambia el sentido ni el enfasis
Tzej   Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 pm GMT
Disregarding leísmo, would 'lo' be the correct one?
Tzej   Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 pm GMT
By the way, are these both correct?

Le envié una carta a mi amigo.
Envié una carta a mi amigo.
Invitado   Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 pm GMT
Las dos frases son correctas
Usero   Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:22 pm GMT
In this case "le" it's not about leismo, they are both perfectly correct.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:00 am GMT
Le ayudé a encontrar trabajo -----> Is it leismo? I think so. In this phrase LE is not Indirect Complement but Direct Complement so it should be LO.
Usero   Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:28 am GMT
I would say Leismo is when you only use Le for everything, like they do in Spain. In Latin America we use both in diferent situations, for example:

Latin American:
No lo conozco (I don't know him) | No la conozco (I don't know her)
Spaniard:
No le conozco (I don't know him/her)
Sarmackie   Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:52 pm GMT
"Is it leismo? I think so. In this phrase LE is not Indirect Complement but Direct Complement so it should be LO."

Bingo. Le is for indirect objects and lo is for direct objects. Lo is what you helped to find, le is who you helped to find it for.

At least, that's the hardcore grammatical stuff that I learned but maybe it's all used differently in conversation amongst native speakers.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:34 pm GMT
I'm native Spanish speaker and despite it may be more correct to say "lo ayudé" I prefer to say "le ayudé", because you are helping a person, not an animal or a thing, and "lo" sounds weird when applied to a person.
Verde   Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:48 pm GMT
only in Spain, cuz you guys use Le for everything.
Me   Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:12 am GMT
Exactly verde. It sounds weird only for Spaniards because almost no one in Latin America uses "le". I find it annoying that the RAE approved the use of "le" just because Spaniards use it all the friggin time. To me it'll always sound incorrect.
Verde   Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 am GMT
We do use Le, but we also use La and Lo, that is helpful because it's more especific.