prove yours

choose   Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am GMT
Can you explain this structure?
"He's early, probably very eager to prove yours truly wrong about the Psalm Book."
Caspian   Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 pm GMT
'yours truly' is a phrase, used to represent mockingly somebody who considers themself to be very important, so he wants to prove this person, referred to as 'yours truly' wrong.
Sarmackie   Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:17 pm GMT
That's not right. 'Yours truly' is a sort of substitution for 'I' or 'me'.
choose   Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:15 pm GMT
Thanks Caspian. Oh, to answer your former question, my native language is Arabic.
Huh?   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 pm GMT
In American English, Sarmackie is correct. In British English, who knows? I've never heard it used as Caspian describes.
Lazar   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:17 pm GMT
Well Cambridge describes "yours truly" as "mainly US": http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=85152&dict=CALD . In any case, yes, it's a facetiously pretentious way of saying "I" or "me".
Doh!   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
Okay, now that I read Caspian's version for the third time, I can see it.
Caspian   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:24 pm GMT
I may be horrible wrong, but this is always how I've percieved it as being used.
Uriel   Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 am GMT
T. H. White used it extensively in The Once and Future King -- it was how King Pellinore always referred to himself. I always think of him when I hear that usage.... Yes, it is a comical way to refer to oneself, because "yours truly" is the typical formal closing remark on a written letter, right above one's own signature. That's where the substitution comes from, and that's why it definitely always refers to yourself, and not to someone else.
choose   Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 am GMT
>>because "yours truly" is the typical formal closing remark on a written letter, right above one's own signature<<
Thanks. This is what yours truly figured it originated from too.
Robin Michael   Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 am GMT
<<<
"He's early, probably very eager to prove yours truly wrong about the Psalm Book."
>>>

He is early;

probably very eager to prove I am wrong about the Psalm Book.

I am not very good on Grammar and Sentence Construction. But I would say that this is an attempt to produce in written english, something that was said in 'spoken english'.

So, it is a transcription of something that someone said.