Which language do u think is less easy, Japanese or Chinese?

Shuimo   Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 pm GMT
Which language do u think is less easy, Japanese or Chinese?
J.C.   Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
Japanese is more difficult in my opinion because one can't speak it just arrange words using the SVO structure like in Chinese. Japanese uses SOV and that's a burden to speakers of European languages. Also, Japanese has a very complex system of honorifics and the usage of particles is quite complicated. It's definitely a language that requires a lot of effort in order to speak decently, let alone to write properly.

再见!
Guesto   Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
I think Japanese is much easier, especially the phonetics.
Language Lover   Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
I respect J.C.'s opinion and suspect he is correct, but I suppose the difficulty depends on how well someone can handle the tones in Mandarin (at least there are only four!) and stay the course with the Hanzi.

Japanese is easier to pronounce.
shiv   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm GMT
Chinese has easier grammar and Japanese has easier phonetics.

It depends which aspect is more challenging to the individual.
Guest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 pm GMT
I prefer languages with easy phonetics and difficult grammar than vice-versa because it's easier to master grammar than pronunciation.
arvore   Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 am GMT
I prefer languages with easy phonetics and difficult grammar than vice-versa because it's easier to master grammar than pronunciation.

This is a very subjective matter...
J.C.   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 am GMT
To close this thread quite simply I'd say that Japanese is easier for people who speak an agglutinating language (Koreans, Turkish, Mongolians and Finnish people for instance learn it VERY FAST) and Chinese is easier for people who speak European languages (Tones are learned with experience and aren't a big deal). As for the written part, it is more difficult in Japanese because characters might have from 1 to several readings whereas Chinese uses mostly 1 reading per character. The exceptions I can remember now are 行,得,了,的.
In Japanese 行 can be read as kou, gyou, an, yuku, iku and okonau.
生 is one of the worst because it can be read as sei, shou, ikiru, ikasu, ikeru, umareru, umu , ou , haeru, hayasu, ki and nama. Japanese poses a special difficulty because it uses THREE writing systems at the same time whereas Chinese uses HANZI for writing pretty much everything.

谢谢/ありがとう!!
Guest   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:46 am GMT
I studied Chinese and Japanese and for me Chinese is most difficult.
J.C.   Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 am GMT
"I studied Chinese and Japanese and for me Chinese is most difficult."
For speaking or writing? Sorry to ask but what's your linguistic background? Just saying it's easy or difficult won't help other people in their studies. If I only spoke Portuguese at the moment I would say that Japanese is easier to speaking because it only has 5 vowels and has a sylabbic system which is easy for speakers of Portuguese whereas Chinese can be challenging with the tones at first. However, when it comes to writing both languages can be difficult for people who use alphabet but easy for a Japanese learning Chinese or a Chinese learning Japanese.

Cheers!!
Shuimo   Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:10 pm GMT
J.C. Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 am GMT
To close this thread quite simply I'd say that Japanese is easier for people who speak an agglutinating language (Koreans, Turkish, Mongolians and Finnish people for instance learn it VERY FAST) and Chinese is easier for people who speak European languages (Tones are learned with experience and aren't a big deal). As for the written part, it is more difficult in Japanese because characters might have from 1 to several readings whereas Chinese uses mostly 1 reading per character. The exceptions I can remember now are 行,得,了,的.
In Japanese 行 can be read as kou, gyou, an, yuku, iku and okonau.
生 is one of the worst because it can be read as sei, shou, ikiru, ikasu, ikeru, umareru, umu , ou , haeru, hayasu, ki and nama. Japanese poses a special difficulty because it uses THREE writing systems at the same time whereas Chinese uses HANZI for writing pretty much everything.

谢谢/ありがとう!!
---------------------------------------
I always find it a delight to hear Japanese females speaking Japanese, yet unpleasant to hear Japanese males doing Japanese speaking. That is odd. LOL
ps: I don't know Japanese!
J.C.   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 pm GMT
"I always find it a delight to hear Japanese females speaking Japanese, yet unpleasant to hear Japanese males doing Japanese speaking. That is odd. LOL "
I hear you on that!! (笑)Japanese women are the most feminine and sophisticated in my opinion. Man sound like samurais and one can't understand a word of what they because the barely open their mouths to speak. 没有关系什么语言,男人说的时候我不喜欢! 女性是总是漂亮!!

"ps: I don't know Japanese!"
If you study you'll learn it REAL FAST!!!In 1 year you'll be fluent, that's for sure!!

加油!!
Shuimo   Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
J.C. Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 pm GMT
<<"没有关系什么语言,男人说的时候我不喜欢! 女性是总是漂亮!!>>
I figure what you were trying to say in Chinese is this, but I might be wrong:
不管什么语言,男的说话我都不喜欢,要女的说话才好听!
LOL
KLAX   Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:02 pm GMT
ENGLISH
maqssi   Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm GMT
chinese, of course