Latin is easy?

Roll   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 am GMT
Learn Ltin is eaiser to a italian, spanish, Frenc and portugese native or to a Englsih, German, etc.. Native?
kaka   Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:58 pm GMT
Latin isn't easy to anyone.
Severus   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:54 pm GMT
Latin is in many aspects like German.
guest   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
<<Latin is in many aspects like German>>.

Really????????????? So German people can learn latin easily.
latez   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:58 pm GMT
Latin is in many aspects like German.

This is stupid
Leasnam   Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:46 pm GMT
<<Latin is in many aspects like German.>>

This is actually quite true, as Hoch Deutsch is modeled after Latin in respect to preservation of cases, where other forms of German, including English, had reduced them.

Preservation of cases reminiscent of Latin was one of the goals of Martin Luther when he published his version of the Bible in Hoch Deutsch
European   Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 pm GMT
This is actually quite true, as Hoch Deutsch is modeled after Latin in respect to preservation of cases, where other forms of German, including English, had reduced them

Latin is a highly inflected language with lots of endings and verbal tenses.
German only retains a very simplified system of cases especially thanks to the use of articles. Latin has no article!
Leasnam   Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:28 pm GMT
<<Latin is a highly inflected language with lots of endings and verbal tenses.
German only retains a very simplified system of cases especially thanks to the use of articles. Latin has no article! >>

I didn't say that German was as inflected as Latin: but German is more like Latin than Italian, French, Portuguese or Spanish in this one respect.

Western Romance languages have articles like Germanic languages do, unlike Latin yes.
Guest   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm GMT
Articles are anecdotal, the preservation of cases in German links it to Latin very much because cases are much more relevant for the structure of a language. German also has short/long vowels like Latin had.
leao   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 pm GMT
Slavic languages are much more similar to Latin than German
Skippy   Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm GMT
<<Slavic languages are much more similar to Latin than German>>

In the sense of noun cases, but vocabulary is completely different.

Hochdeutsch is, to an extent, similar to Latin (I'm thinking syntax). For an English speaker, Latin is quite difficult. However, this is merely a function of grammar. If you are familiar with different cases and how you would identify them in English (for example, "of my father" would be genitive, "to my father" would be dative, Father! would be vocative, etc.), then it is merely a function of memorizing the case endings. If you have any linguistic background (and being in this forum, I assume you do) Latin would be quite easy to learn.
leao   Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm GMT
skippy what about Latin verbal system??
It's so rich in tenses and moods. Verbal syntax is really complicated. People usually tend to overestimate cases and underestimate verbs, particularly in this forum
Leasnam   Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm GMT
<<skippy what about Latin verbal system??
It's so rich in tenses and moods. Verbal syntax is really complicated. People usually tend to overestimate cases and underestimate verbs, particularly in this forum >>

I agree: Latin verbal systems are very complex. Not even Romance languages have verbal systems like Latin. Theirs are more like those of Germanic languages.
Nikita   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm GMT
Romance languages preserve around 80% of Latin tenses. Verbs are the best preserved part in Romance languages. It's true that Romance languages also have modal verbs to express tenses . I wonder if these will end up replacing verbal conjugations, because now that I'm thinking about it, I have just realized that for example in Spanish I use the verb to go+infinitive (ir+ a +infinitive) to express future tense more than the future conjugation (-re ending).
Leasnam   Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
<<Romance languages preserve around 80% of Latin tenses.>>

Is this "Romance languages" as a whole? i.e. some tenses in this language, other tenses in that language?

and are the tenses the same as in Latin? for instance, the future tense you mention above is not really the Latin future tense: portābō portābimus

and the passive tenses are missing: portābor portābimur