Help needed (Experiment)

LivEdith   Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
Dear all,

For one of our university courses, we're looking for many speakers of English for a small web-based experiment. There will be a brief questionnaire at the beginning, followed by the experiment itself, in which we would like you to identify what sound you heard (e.g., click on either a 'Ta' or 'Da' button) The experiment won't take more than five minutes of your time! And it would help us a lot!

We are looking for native speakers of English (preferably monolingual) and Dutch-English bilinguals (both Dutch-dominant and English-dominant)

We would like to send you a link to our tiny test, so could you perhaps send an email to livedithexperiment[at]gmail[dot]com, letting us know to which group you belong?

Your reward: The eternal gratitude of two students in need

Thank you so much!
Edith & Liv
PS: Needless to say we'll only use your email address for this experiment, we won't sell it/spam you/do other unethical things!
Jago   Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm GMT
Why can't you post the link here?
It would provide you with far more answers!
Jacques   Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm GMT
I don't trust women who won't do unethical things.
LivEdith   Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm GMT
We can't post the link for two reasons.
First of all, we need to divide the group into different groups.
Secondly, we like to keep track of the response rate.

Thanks for replying, and if you're interested in participating, don't hesitate to send us a message!
No Statement   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
How much will we be paid? I know that Dutch speakers (at least those who speak Flemish/Vlaams), may not care about whether it is "d" or "t" at the end of a word.

I can't participate because I'm not monolingual.
Johnny   Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 pm GMT
Wait... If I send you an email, you reply, I send another... then can we be friends? And are you two young and attractive?

If so, I will send an email. I am not a native speaker, but I could try to pretend I am someone you are interested in. I'll give you my email address, just in case: young_girls_disemboweler [AT] hotmail [DOT] com. Don't be scared, it's just an email address, I'm not a psycho, I would never harm you. Well, never... if we don't meet in person.

I was kidding, of course, but I was struck by this sentence:
<<Your reward: The eternal gratitude of two students in need >>
What do you mean by "gratitude"? Pleasure? Lust? Was that an euphemism? I don't understand.
Jasper   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
While I admire the purpose of this endeavor, I don't think it prudent to click on any link in an email, for security reasons.
Robin Michael   Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 am GMT
I never realised how seriously wierd 'Johnny' was before!

Surely, anything like the anti-moon Forum works on the basis of 'Good Will' and 'Trust'.

What is the big deal?

I suspect that it is a very poor understanding of English

{{{{{I was kidding, of course, but I was struck by this sentence:
<<Your reward: The eternal gratitude of two students in need >>
What do you mean by "gratitude"? Pleasure? Lust? Was that an euphemism? I don't understand. }}}}}

I have Windows Vista / MS Outlook, and emails that I don't want go into my 'Junk Inbox'. I still look at them, but there is an initial sort. Obviously I get some emails that I think are suspicious. But they do not cause me any problems. If I am really concerned, I do not open them. Otherwise I have an Anti-Virus package provided by my Internet Service Provider. A free alternative is provided by AVG.
Jasper   Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 am GMT
Robin Michael, it must be remembered that oftentimes patches (cures?) for viruses are not issued until after millions of PCs are already infected. I maintain that clicking a link in an email is not prudent unless the user knows the sender very well.
Caspian   Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 am GMT
Gratitude means gratefulness.
Robin Michael   Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:21 pm GMT
Dear Jasper

This is an example of an email that I put into my 'Miscellaneous Junk' category without opening.

star34_ca_ca [NOREPLY@fanboxnotes.com]

Contents:

Using Virtual Money!, I AM GIVING YOU SOME MONEY.

(The words in Capital letters were highlighted in order to be clicked.)

On closer inspection it has probable come from a 'Fan Fiction' site. My son is very keen on reading 'Fan Fiction'.

Both my son and my daughter have often played 'World of Warcraft'. My daughter who is fifteen has had numerous proposals of marriage while playing this game. All very flattering! (Courtesy of Mr J. Foreigner)

In the worst possible case, I will have to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the original software. Something that I did quite recently on the children's computer.