How to avoid making mistakes in English

Robin Michael   Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:57 am GMT
Where I live there are a lot of Polish and Eastern European people trying to earn a living - in an English speaking environment.

I have just been reading the article on learning English. The stress is on being 'correct' rather than on saying something. As you can imagine, if you are a 'Cleaner' working in a Hotel, it is more important to smile and say something, than to be correct.

I can remember a Finnish man who had been brought up on a local Council Estate who spoke 'English' remarkably badly. He had come to the UK when he was just a child. In someways I feel rather sorry for such people because I feel that they have been let down by the educational system. On the other hand, it is not really very fair on the UK tax payer to be expected to provide a first class education/social services to every person who can afford a RyanAir air-fare; currently £1 including taxes.
Tarc   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:08 am GMT
So, your point is?

I don't really get the very last sentence of yours, which is the key in what you want to say I believe. About the education system, that is given to anyone who want to, including foreign people like the Finnish one you mentioned. £1 base price plus tax is cheap indeed if you get lucky getting one, what are you saying with it? That it doesn't take much effort to get here making a living - 10 pounds tops for a flight ticket with competitive payment waiting here in the UK - so it's like giving a better life for nothing to be done? Like, having proper English is not even needed, so why blame the edutational system? Sorry I just don't quite get it (may be my English though)

By the way, I think it's important for people immigrating to at least try and improve their English. I wouldn't feel good like that, being a person who lacks the language skill in a native English environment, where -since that it's their homes- people may have any opinions about others coming in without at least being able to communicate or at least express themselves..
So I would feel motivated by myself, for my own sake :)

As for how to avoid making mistakes, I'm looking forward to hear about your opinion (or others).
an asker   Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm GMT
“I can remember a Finnish man who had been brought up on a local Council Estate who spoke 'English' remarkably badly. He had come to the UK when he was just a child.”

You mean his English was bad for a person living in the UK, but for a person not living in the UK it would have been ‘good’?
Seasol   Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 am GMT
Continuous revision, practice Can stop the mistakes in English.

======================================

Seasol

home job
home work
start a business
home based business
business ideas

[url="http://business.bizoppjunction.com/"]Home Based Business[/url]
Seasol   Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 am GMT
Continuous revision, practice Can stop the mistakes in English.

======================================

Seasol

home job
home work
start a business
home based business
business ideas

<a href="http://business.bizoppjunction.com/">Home Based Business</a>
Revolutionary   Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:55 am GMT
I prefer make the mistakes by purpose because adds the colour to my language, you understand my utterance and reason yes? I enjoy make the mistakes as makes me unique human being with personalised language for use of personal natures. Why I must speak English by the grammar laws when I can create own language with belong to me laws? Why not? I just create new language called the language of Me. It is my language, and by that whatever I say is correct. No matter what you say, I am master of this language, what you utter probably be wrong, if it be by my will for that to be so. Thank you and good day.
Descriptivist   Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 am GMT
Hail You! Long live Freedom of Speech!
Flower   Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm GMT
>>I prefer make the mistakes by purpose because adds the colour to my language, you understand my utterance and reason yes? I enjoy make the mistakes as makes me unique human being with personalised language for use of personal natures. Why I must speak English by the grammar laws when I can create own language with belong to me laws? Why not? I just create new language called the language of Me. It is my language, and by that whatever I say is correct. No matter what you say, I am master of this language, what you utter probably be wrong, if it be by my will for that to be so. Thank you and good day.<<

LOL I am liking this language you are inventing is also my opinion very difficult for other person learning!
1000 Flowers   Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:23 pm GMT
I'm agree! Sod off teachers! The Language of Me this way comes. Who want another brik in the wall to be? Freedome, the ultimate flagrance of 1000 flowers that flourish and Wisdom, suculent froot of 100 skulls of thought, is what I nead. I'm psychologicaly victimised by prescriptivistss demanding to writing they wanting me too. I say The Fürst Amendment aplies to the mater, noone is gona tell me howghto rite & speek.
Sarmackie   Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:23 pm GMT
There is no problems with these! Speak we should all however they feel like to do so.
Tarc   Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm GMT
Yeah, why make rules, making things more complex, having structure and standards, one clean proper way where everything is 100% obvious to everyone, when... we could all write however we feel like! *sarcasm*
I could mix English with my native language, creating a language I can only understand! I achieved nothing! How cool! I can be unique this way, since I fail at life otherwise!! Let's follow that dude.
Right.

You could color your language by speaking 2 languages fluidly and learn new expressions and sleng.
You can only be unique that way in your own native language, not by like mixing it with Romanian or whatever..
?   Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:49 pm GMT
How come I can understand what everyone in this thread is saying but not your exposé Tarc?
Tarc   Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 pm GMT
I was just referring to what "Revolutionary" was saying.
Who mixed hsi antive language with English, becoming the master of that language created. Which I found weird - that's all.
Sorry my "exposé" wasn't clear. The first part of my reply was silly, speaking in a way he would. The second part just shows how he really could color his/her language, in my opinion.
But maybe it's all nonsense.