Toughest European Language

Colette   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
Ask your teacher.
12345   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:48 pm GMT
<<Do you really think that the proper use of the article The in English is much easier than some cases?? You probably don't know that it is one of the most difficult aspects in the English grammar... so cases are not all in a language>>

<<Your incorrect use of it shows that.

Please correct my message then >>
Do you really think that the proper use of the article The is much easier than some cases??

Translating it to Dutch makes it quite easy for me.
Denk jij echt dat het correcte gebruik van het lidwoord 'the' veel gemakkelijker is dan een paar naamvallen?
That would be much better like this:
Denk jij echt dat correct gebruik van het lidwoord 'the' veel gemakkelijker is dan een paar naamvallen?

So in English I'd say:
Do you really think that proper use of the article 'the' is much easier than some cases.

Reason why? You talk about proper use of that article. Not about the use that's properly ;).

It's difficult to explain for a non-native English :(.
Guest   Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm GMT
what about "than some cases"? I think that it should be "than in some cases".
12345   Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
<<what about "than some cases"? I think that it should be "than in some cases". >>
No, because 'cases' are grammatical cases in this context, not circumstances ;)
ceci   Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm GMT
Ask your teacher.

mi profesor me ha dicho que eres una zorra, a lo mejor mi profe de castellano es mejor que el de inglés..
KatePerera   Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 am GMT
it must be Baskian.
barbablù   Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm GMT
Swedish
Ron   Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:30 pm GMT
BHS or Serbian or Croatian is one of the easiest languages that has more than 4 cases.
It has 7 cases of wich two are identical in all paradigms.
One of the cases is Vocative usually used with proper nouns.
So you have only 5 cases in three declensions.
Gender is usually distributed according to declension. Masculines and neuters are in O declension and feminine in A or I declension.
It is very simple for pronounciation because it has only 6 vowels.
Although it is a tonal language the tones aren't as important as in Chinese.
It has more or less same verbal tenses as OCS and some new.
Serbian is written in both latin and cyrillic.
Macedonian is also interesting. It has no cases but does have article.
It has similar vocabulary as Serbian.
Toše Proeski   Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm GMT
Ron
How is BCS tonal? Examples please.
Wich two cases are identical in all paradigms?
When is Vocative not used with proper nouns?
Since when does Macedonian have 'similar' vocabulary as Serbian?
olasz   Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
Since when does Macedonian have 'similar' vocabulary as Serbian?

Macedonian does have a similar vocabulary to Serbian, both languages belong to the southern slavic group
Toše Proeski   Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:46 pm GMT
All Slavic languages have 'similar' vocabulary. Ron claims that Macedonian vocabulary is similar to Serbian. Why Serbian and not Croatian or Bosnian? If anything, Macedonian is similar (if not the same) as Bulgarian.
Wikipedia:
"The modern Macedonian language belongs to the eastern sub-branch of the South Slavic branch of the Slavic branch of the Indo-European family of languages. The closest relative of Macedonian is Bulgarian,[6] with which it is mutually intelligible.[4] Following that, the next closest languages are Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian."
kaka   Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 pm GMT
The one you don't know
skippa   Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:35 pm GMT
Maltese
Caspian   Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
Ok, I'm a native speaker:
Do you really think that the proper use of the article 'the' is easier than cases?
Claus   Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:24 am GMT
The answer is simple: Albanian.

Even though it is one of the oldest languages out there, and it constitutes one single, separate branch, it is spoken by only 10 million people. You get the idea.