Why can't the Japanese speak good English?

sanskrit   Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm GMT
According to a native English speaker of English: Can Chinese speak good English? I don't mean the ones who have been living in the US or in the UK for decades...

My mother tongue is a romance language and I have to say that Chinese people have lots of problem to speak it fluently
Guest   Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:35 pm GMT
Why should the Chinese people speak English properly? It's not their national language.
luar   Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 pm GMT
Well, in my view the chinese people have more difficulty in learning the grammar of the Indo-european languages than the Japapanese do
RYOHEI   Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
Well i know that americans speak good japanese because of their alphabet system which can be used as phonetics which is pretty helpful in language learning textbooks but i think if a japanese tried to speak english there would be an accent because unlike the english language the japanese doesnt use an alphabet system they use characters know as kanji (chinese imported characters ) katakana (used for foreign words) and hirigana (kids writing... i think thats what its used for ) and usually most characters, excluding kanji has a vowel sound in the end of every character so it's not really good if it was used as phonetics and also they dont have the L and the V sounds in their system of reading and writing so it sometimes come out as "R" sounds and "B" sounding. so if they were trying to say velvet it would come out as ベルベト or phonetically in english... "berubeto" oh also the japanese only use one sound for a vowel unlike the english which the vowels can either have a long sound or a short sound so that doesnt contribute to japanese people who try to speak english
rychag   Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:19 pm GMT
Lol, if the Japanese have such problems with the relatively mild pronunciation of English, imagine how they must sound trying to speak languages like Russian with large consonant clusters and exotic sounds.
Billyaeau   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 am GMT
Becauzeau itae isaue veryae hauardeue languageauauauaeau. Makarimasuauauauau.
Billyaeau   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:14 am GMT
LOL
---   Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 am GMT
<<Lol, if the Japanese have such problems with the relatively mild pronunciation of English, imagine how they must sound trying to speak languages like Russian with large consonant clusters and exotic sounds.>>

They aren't exotic to the Russians...
rychag   Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 am GMT
<,They aren't exotic to the Russians... >>

They are to Japanese.
It-a is-a me-a again-a   Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 am GMT
I-ia said-a it-a is-a a ve-a-ry-a har-a-d-a lan-a-nguage-a...hua...aua...hua...aaua..
nico   Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
why the europeans or the americans can't speak a proper japanese?
Guest   Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 pm GMT
Because they don't study Japanese at all.
Haiyen   Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:17 pm GMT
Hi, guys. I'm from Vietnam and I have to say that Japanese is the "hot" language here (besides English, of course), not Chinese. Even though I am learning Mandarin, I've started to regret it. I guess the reasons why I picked it up in the first place are A. It is fairly easy for Vietnamese to learn Mandarin and B. I am a Chinese movies fanatic. My mom was so disappointed when I said I would learn Mandarin because in Vietnam, speaking Japanese actually will give you more money. I like manga and anime but horrified when I look at the writing system (hey, isn't it hard enough that they have Chinese character, why would those characters have to be traditional Chinese). I am already a sophomore which means I only have like, 2 years before graduation. And frankly, I don't think I can learn Japanese in just 2 years.
Now, I don't know. I feel confused and worried, I totally get Mandarin learning is just a hype now that I see many CHinese people speak good if not excellent English. I would love to know two foreign languages but Japanese is way out of my league. Urgh.. I hate myself
Yancy   Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:56 pm GMT
Why can't people who speak English speak good japanese? I know I can't. So, If you can't speak their language well... don't criticize them for not being able to speak your language well.
raz   Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 pm GMT
<<Why can't people who speak English speak good japanese? I know I can't. So, If you can't speak their language well... don't criticize them for not being able to speak your language well. >>

That's irrelevant. It's a comparative matter. Of all the world's people Japanese are the worst by miles and miles at speaking English. It's rather hilarious. What is the reason they are so bad at it COMPARED to other people who learn English?